Photoj

Star Citizen

All ships will able to be bought once the game goes live (with in game currency).  So no not really any reason to buy more ships other than what you have unless you want to help support the developer. 

That being said:  Who wants to help crew a Constellation?  I'm thinking of picking up an Andromeda.

How would that work, if I volunteered to help crew your ship, but I wasn't available to play...?

We would have to be playing at the same time. Not sure how we would get in the same instance though just yet (i'm still learning).  but once the game is released, you will be able to hire NPC's as crewman as well.

i was just doing one of the missions in the PU and it required flying to a station, exiting the ship and finding evidence on the station for an insurance claim.  Once I finished it i went out to get back in my ship but someone had stolen it. Hope there are ways to prevent that when the game is finished LOL.

We would have to be playing at the same time. Not sure how we would get in the same instance though just yet (i'm still learning).  but once the game is released, you will be able to hire NPC's as crewman as well.

i was just doing one of the missions in the PU and it required flying to a station, exiting the ship and finding evidence on the station for an insurance claim.  Once I finished it i went out to get back in my ship but someone had stolen it. Hope there are ways to prevent that when the game is finished LOL.

Woah.  I'm definitely getting into the ship stealing business.

so can you answer a few simple questions about the game?

To get started I have to buy one of the game packages right?  There's no free download to get in to walk around?

Squadron 42 will be the single player adventure.  It looks like you can pre-order it or get it with a discount if you buy a package, but there is nothing out for it yet?  Do we have a clue when it will be out?  Is it worth it? Or is there no way to know yet.  It looks like $15 as an add-on now, can we add it later for $15?

The different packages all include the same basic game?  But they just come with different ships?  Is it worth getting a larger ship now? Other than supporting game development I guess.

You mention you have several ships, have you bought them in game with in game currency?  Or did you buy the other ships in the online store?  Just curious how much you can do in game already for making money.

Is it worth getting in now?  or would it make more sense to get in after one of the future updates?  It sounds like 2016 is the real target for things to really be released, but who knows how development goes.

The game looks very interesting.  I've heard generally good things about it.  This is the first time I've really started looking into it.  I had played Eve for quite a while a few years ago and have started to miss that sort of game.  It sounds like Star Citizen might be a good place to get into from the ground floor, just trying to figure out where it's at and what I need to do to get into it.

Oh, do you fly with a joystick or gamepad?  or is the mouse the best?  I seem to hear folk talk about joysticks and stuff.  Does it support multi monitor and things like that?

It looks like there is no subscription, that you buy into the game and your in.  Do we know that's true?

thanks,

Nanabot

So all the game packages are the same - except the ship you get with it. Yes S42 is the single player campaign and is being heavily worked on.  Has voice talent in it such as Mark Hamil, Gilian Anderson.  The ships I have I have paid money for through the online store to help development. You can upgrade from one ship to another and have the value of the current ship go towards the newer ship and only pay the difference in price. 

Currently, the main thing you can do is Arena Commander - which includes PvP dogfighting or AI dogfighting.  It also have racing in it. 

They have an early version of the MMO universe (Persistent Universe, or PU) that you can play around in as well. This has roughly 10-20 missions you can do, as well as a place for FPS PvP. not all ships for sale are flyable currently. Some you can only see in your hangar. however if you buy a non-flyable ship, they give you something else to fly (usually a Hornet). 

Very soon they will be pushing out an update to the PU that will include the ability to earn in game currency and spend it on trivial things like clothes, etc.  This will be the beginnings of the MMO portion.

You are basically backing the game development, and in return you get to play around in the game as it's being developed. They also put up videos that will go into things like bugs they have discovered and fixed, and even will show the line of code at times where the bug was, and what the line of code was that was used to fix it. 

2.4 was released to the live servers this past week.  This update includes the beginnings of persistence and the ability to buy things from some of the shops using aUEC (in game currency). Ship insurance is also incorporated, but can be overcome currently by waiting out a timer or logging out and back in I believe. 

The Starfarer is also flight ready and the Reliant Kore is hangar ready. 

Good things coming and it's finally starting to look like the beginnings of an MMO. 

I've got a few hundred bucks pledged into SC. I got a bit burnt out just following the forums a while back, so short of briefly checking in from time to time, I'm holding out until they release more of the persistent universe. This is one of those games for which I will definitely be building a new gaming PC.