severian

The Hams Among Us

... ham radio that is. :P  I have a tech license and am slowly studying up for my general, and yes, I'm even studying morse code.  Since money is an issue, I want to get into QRP which is mostly cw work.  I'm just curious as to how many other operators are out there and what they like doing on air.

Severian, KB1JOV

Look up "Nola Radio" here on the site.  I remember he did a post a long time ago about doing HAM radio.  He stops by the forum every now and then.

I want to start studying for mine but time is my constraint. Plan to do it some point in the future.

my Father and brother are HAMS.  I know my dad's call sign is KB5DX will find out what my bothers is and post it.

General licensee, KD9AQX.

I've since had to put the hobby on hold, however.  I'm just not able to fabricate a SWMBO-approved antenna system that lets me get out very far.  Maybe in a few years, when we can move from the 'burbs into the country. :/

I wanted to do this but with limited fund I would be able to afford the paperwork but not a decent radio. This stuff is so expensive.

I don't post much on here, but got my Technician class license a few weeks ago.   (I originally studied right out of High School, about 20ish years ago.  But, I didn't have time to learn CW, so I put it away "until I had time".)   

For anyone else that might be thinking of getting a license, it really isn't too hard anymore, and doesn't cost that much.  (The test is $14.)   Check out https://hamstudy.org/for the sample tests (that use the real test pool questions).   Also, there is a link on that site for classes that can help you pass the test.   If you happen to be in Utah, there is a monthly free class where they take you through all 450 questions in the test pool, and then offer the test at the end of the class.   (The one I attended pushed the hamstudy.org site.  I guess it was developed by a fellow Utahan.)

As far as expense, it seems to depend on what you want to do.   I tend to jump in to new hobbies with both feet, and spend WAY too much money, so I decided to start small.   I grabbed a Baofeng UV-88 (I think that was the model.  It wasn't the more popular UV-5R.) and an Anytone INSTIG-8R.   The Baofeng was ~$30, and the Anytone ~$70.   Using repeaters it will allow you to get your feet wet, and from the little I have dug around, will generally let you dabble in most aspects of HAM-dom.  (Some of the more experienced guys may disagree.. If they do, listen to them. ;)

Unfortunately, I have not had much time to dedicate to playing around with the radio, but I figure over the next 10 years, I should be able to find things to mess around with.   As I have been getting in to circuit level electronics lately too, I have been thinking about trying my hand at building a TNC using one of the inexpensive MCUs out there.

One of the things that I am curious about, that maybe some of you more experienced guys can talk about, is data over the radio.   However, some of the legalese associated with the license makes it unclear to me if what I want to do is legal, or if it is legal, but I need to fill out paperwork and maybe get additional callsigns for it.    I'd like to be able to have a radio at my house that I could connect to from various locations in the back-country and send some data to it.   Places where I might be able to hit a repeater, but can't get cell service (or, can get cell service, but no data service).   So, the first thing I am trying to figure out is if I can legally run a radio station from my house when I am not there.  From studying for my test, it seems that I can't.   However, then I see stuff on the Internet about people using PSK31 to send e-mail and images remotely, which would seem to indicate that there is a way to do it (legally).   Anyone have any pointers?

Thanks!

KG7WIA