Youtube Videos on using Overmatching and other Tricks/Mechanics

Here's a list of tanks that the IS6 (120mm cannon) can overmatch their turret roof.  I don't have a list of side armor. 

-Tiger II

-VK 45.02 A

-IS-3

-IS-4

- T110E3

-VK 45.02 B (will not overmatch after 9.2)

-Object 140

-Object 430

-T-54

-IS-6

-T34

-T29

-T32

-M103

-IS-8

-JPE-100

Needless to say learning this will make seemingly impossible to kill tanks much, much easier. 

EDIT:  Since sticky I'll update.

Here's another one about trap shots. Not as useful IMHO but still nice to know. The trick against t28 protons at the end is pretty key.

Defeating a perfect sidescrape if you're in a 'tall' tank:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nickali28

Isn't it pretty common for a lot of guns to have autopen on tops of turrets?

I guess these are tough nut to crack tanks?  I don't play these tiers so I'm not in the know on them.

Isn't it pretty common for a lot of guns to have autopen on tops of turrets?

Yes.  Basically starting with 120mm guns.  The 183 is another gun which gets unique automatch (ie. can pen the roof of a 62a at 60mm).  At lower tiers it's possible as well but is less likely since it requires the x3 multiple to pen. 

It's just a really basic mechanic that is very underutilized.  When you watch Valachio pen the side of the 155 you realize that the angle would be autobounce for literally every single shot (ie. 330 HEAT T-54) in a gun less than 120mm.  But autopen with every gun bigger than a 120. 

Wow...that's absurd. I understand the idea of the overmatch, but hard to believe once this becomes more widely known that it is "working as intended"

in the meantime however I will be putting my new knowledge to work!

Wow...that's absurd. I understand the idea of the overmatch, but hard to believe once this becomes more widely known that it is "working as intended"

in the meantime however I will be putting my new knowledge to work!

It's been well known for as long as the system has been in place.  It's just that people didn't have this good of a visual example and (most) will not bother actually learning/memorizing which tanks have roofs they can overmatch and which don't. 

Plus aiming is hard.  :)

Plus aiming is hard.  :)

Especially in the IS-6. The accuracy is crap. Don't try to snipe with it or you'll have a bad time. But if you find yourself in a close engagement with one of these tanks, the roof is definitely a weak spot. Or the commander hatch/cupola in some cases. The T-29, for example, has a really easy hatch to hit and pen. Of course, if you have a shot at the hull, that's even easier to hit, and very weak.

With the Tortoise, the front of the cupola is much more strongly armored than the sides. So if you have a side shot, aim for the cupola, because it's easier to pen than the side of the fighting compartment, and easier to hit than the roof.

Gotta love Valachio. Famous reroll. I recognize that voice. You know he's only 16 yrs old right? They even moved that WGLNA from Vegas because he was too young to basically go anywhere. Funny stuff. Well, at least that's what he said.

• gpc_4 unpinned this topic