Sign in to follow this  
Aftrthought051

Wet Shaving

Ah man, that sounds like a sweet gift.  I need to get a bowl.  I'm still just using the mug deal that I got with my Van der Hagen starter kit.  It works, but the Mitchell Wool Fat doesn't sit all the way down in the mug.  Try using more water on your soap.  I find that sometimes we try to use too little.

nice to have a little change from the usual t-shirt/pepper emporium gift we always get.  i usually fill the bowl with hot tap water and let the brush soak in it while i shower.  warms the bowl and gets my brush saturated for soap.  i tried adding a tad more water, then more soap, it was really foamy, but light and airy rather than the thick dense foam tobs gives me.  maybe i just need to work on/change up my technique.

I'm working on getting a new razor and some new blades right now since I am running low on the blades that came with my One Touch razor from walmart. Hoping to have the order done early this week but im still researching for a new soap.

Just used my One Touch tonight and it torn the crap out of my face with the Dorco blades that came with it. But now I am out of shave soap so I will be growing a beard until I put my order in for a new razor, blades, and soap.

Just used my One Touch tonight and it torn the crap out of my face with the Dorco blades that came with it. But now I am out of shave soap so I will be growing a beard until I put my order in for a new razor, blades, and soap.

is that the brett farve as seen on tv razor?  I had some dorco DE razors that came with a cheap butterfly style double edge razor i bought.  they tore me up, but i gave them to my brother and he loves them.  I bought an edwin jagger double edge and some Gillette silver blues (russian), and they work much better for me.

I will say that I have a Dollar Shave Club that is supposedly a dorco triple blade, and i have no problem with that razor.  I bought 2 months worth and it will probably last me a year or so if i only use them when im too lazy for DE shaving.

No its the one from the bald dude on pawn stars. I am looking to upgrade very soon simple because I love the idea of the wet shave.

Sent from my Z932L using Tapatalk

No its the one from the bald dude on pawn stars. I am looking to upgrade very soon simple because I love the idea of the wet shave.

It may just be the blade.  Did you do an up and down pass?  Also you should let the weight of the razor apply the pressure, and be careful not to apply pressure.  Don't let your strokes overlap, shaving the same area twice without applying more cream can burn you up as well.  I've also found that with cheaper butterfly razors, you can get a bit better shave by adjusting our tight you twist the handle... perhaps backing off a smidge will help.

Did you use aftershave?

My Edwin Jagger ran 30 bucks on amazon new.  I also have a late 1940s Super Speed I bought on ebay for 16 bucks that i like almost as well.  I'd like to get a Merkur some day, but moneys a bit tight at the moment.

With grain then against grain is how I try to do it. The blades have caused me problems since day one to be honest. I think the culprit behind this horrible shave was the fact my shave soap did not lather for crap. It was thin and very runny. I was using the last of my current soap so now I am waiting for my order to go through and be shipped. I sometimes catch myself putting pressure on the razor and I know this causes bad things. I have tried loosening the blade by turning the handle and that makes things a bit better but I honestly think the blades I am using are a real problem overall. I use the 30 day rule, only change one part of my set up every 30 days and this has worked so far for me.

With grain then against grain is how I try to do it. The blades have caused me problems since day one to be honest. I think the culprit behind this horrible shave was the fact my shave soap did not lather for crap. It was thin and very runny. I was using the last of my current soap so now I am waiting for my order to go through and be shipped. I sometimes catch myself putting pressure on the razor and I know this causes bad things. I have tried loosening the blade by turning the handle and that makes things a bit better but I honestly think the blades I am using are a real problem overall. I use the 30 day rule, only change one part of my set up every 30 days and this has worked so far for me.

Yeah I know what you mean.  The key lime and bay rum soap I got doesn't get near as thick as my TOBS (http://amzn.com/B0007MW2ZW). I want to try some more brands.

What is TOBS?  That link is broken.  My Mitchell Wool Fat is getting low and I might try something else.  I've really enjoyed it.  It gets a thick lather with little to no work up, but I am always curious to try other stuff to see what else is out there.

Taylor of Old Bond Street:  http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/  

You can find it on Amazon easily.    The Sandalwood is this best thing human beings have ever made in the history of mankind. 

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Old-Bond-Street-Sandalwood/dp/B0007MW2ZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444839963&sr=8-1&keywords=taylor+old+bond+sandalwood