Sign in to follow this  
Aftrthought051

Wet Shaving

Does it sounds crazy that with the amount I dropped on DE equipment that I still want to pickup a straight to shave with? Seems to me to be the manliest way to go about it.

Sent from my Z932L using Tapatalk

So I droped $139 and change on my order for new shave supplies. I got a Parker 24c, a 5 packs sampler of blades, a premium lather bowl, orange pre shave oil, orange menthol shave soap, orange menthol after shave, and a pure badger hair 50mm brush. I know it sound expensive but when you look at the fact I picked up EVERYTHING needed to replace when I have and "dislike" its reasonable.I will post up pics when everything gets here.

I've never used preshave oil. I bought an omega badger hair brush for around 12 bucks. I might add up my stuff tomorrow and see what it costs. I thinks tobs runs 16ish. Not sure about proraso sensitive, but I'm sure it's cheap.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

So far I have close $175 in ALL my shave equipment including what is on the way. I still want to find a few vintage razors and straights to restore and start a "rotation" every week. Plus I think vintage restored DE razor with a starter kit would make a great gift for friends and family.

So far I have close $175 in ALL my shave equipment including what is on the way. I still want to find a few vintage razors and straights to restore and start a "rotation" every week. Plus I think vintage restored DE razor with a starter kit would make a great gift for friends and family.

I logged into amazon and so far I have.

Nivea Men's Sensitive Gel Moisturizer $2.69 (rarely ever use, but maybe now that the air is drying out)

Clubman Styptic Pencil $3.28 (used it one time when i nicked my mole)

25 Pack of Russian Gillette Silver Blues $8.25

Edwin Jagger DE89bl $30.86 (excellent beginners razor)

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood $17 (LOVE this stuff, 6 months in an it's only half gone)

Proraso Sensitive Liquid Aftershave Cream 3.4oz $12.86 (I use it every shave)

Red handled Omega Professional Boar Hair Shaving Brush $9.38

eBay

Vintage 1940's Gillette Super Speed $16.23

elsewhere I obtained

Bowl, brush, and key lime & bay rum scented soap

I like the ceramic bowl, it is marked $10, and up until i received it I used a ramekin, which worked well, but the new bowl is textured in the bottom.

So far I have $100.55, but if you buy a bowl I'd imagine you could add 10 bucks or less.  That includes 2 razors, the Gillette Super Speed gives a nice shave, but is more aggressive than the EJ.  The EJ came with 5 Derby blades, that are great starter blades.  I feel like the styptic pen was a waste of money, but many many people recommend it.  I definitely prefer the cream over soap, it just gives a thicker lather.

I did by a cheap shave factory TTO razor that came with 10 Dorco blades.  I absolutely hated that setup, but I gave it to my brother, and he still uses it to this day.  I did keep the case this razor came with for traveling.

I picked up my first set up at Walmart. A Micro Touch One with dorco blades and a Van deer Hagen bowl, brush, soap, and stand. I think it was $45-50 total.

I think that is a decent start kit Harmy.  The best I've read is that you want a "badger" hair brush, and I see that has one.  This is a great start kit because after you get this, you really only need to buy razors, and those are dirt cheap.  Then soap, and that isn't expensive at all.  Once you decide you do like this hobby, you can invest in a different handle for your blades, and maybe a brush and bowl.  Thing is, you can add as you go.

What Aftrthought051 said. You can add more and more as time goes on. My new razor, blades, and other things should show up in the next 1-2 hours. Once everything is here I will grab some pics for everyone to see.

Is it normal to be excited about new shaving equipment?

ab4313e8b8a81d943c7e77217963e368.jpg

Photo is all the new gear that came in. Parker 24c with Astra SP is the finest DE shave I have had EVER. The orange menthol soap and after shave have a wonderful yet light citrus smell and just enough tingle to make you "cool". I will be ordering again to keep stock in these items. Next new blade will be different just so I can try them all.