Sign in to follow this  
Aftrthought051

Wet Shaving

Yep, it is an actual hobby. I found a forum, TheShaveDen.com.  Sounded almost like us here at the Hideout.  They have SO much information out there.  It is crazy.  I also watched a bunch of videos from this guy who calls himself The Sharpologist, and has his own website and all.  That, coupled with all the info on the forums at The Shave Den, and I think I have a pretty good handle on starting out.  I get my brush and shaving soap in next week, so I really can't wait to start with that, as right now I only have my safety razor and am using the rest of my shaving cream in a can.  I had no idea about any of this, and turns out that I know NOTHING about shaving.  That's OK though, because neither did any of our dads.  It has just become a lost art.  But it is exciting to take something that I once looked at as a chore and necessary evil, to something that I can't wait to do and look forward to it.  That you actually need to shave three times, and of course the danger of actually cutting yourself.  With the modern $5 cartridge, it was really hard for me to actually cut myself.

Maybe it is just because it is different right now.  Maybe it is just because I enjoy the actual workup to it, and that it can take anywhere from 10-20 minutes to get a proper shave.  I also enjoy the fact that while I have the initial investment of just <$100, my upkeep cost is minimal.  Probably around $5 or less a month.  But just curious if anybody else does it, or if you are interested and have any questions, just ask away.

Sounds interesting, and I'd love to have a nice smooth shave, but 10-20 minutes a day is just 10-20 minutes a day I just don't have some days.

Sounds interesting, and I'd love to have a nice smooth shave, but 10-20 minutes a day is just 10-20 minutes a day I just don't have some days.

I have to agree with this. I've always wanted to try this but I'd have to seriously alter my routine.

Rockin' the Tapatalk, eh!

Well it just depends on you.  I will probably just do a simple shave during the week, and have a nice relaxing shave on the weekend.  I may even start shaving at night, which I know the wife likes before naughty time anyway.

I wet shave everyday.  I'm down to about 10 min for a good smooth shave.  The initial investment is not much when you consider the low cost of wet shaving.  I use a Merkur heavy double edge razor with Merkur blades.  The work well enough.  There are other blades out there, and part of the fun is experimenting to see which ones give you the shave you want.  The feather blades are by far the sharpest that I have tried.  I use Taylor of Old Bond Str Sandlewood soap with a badger hair brush.  The shave is amazingly smooth.  I never got a shave this close using the "multi-blade" razors with their expensive refills.

I want to try some Feather blades next.  I hear they are really good.  I got a 5 pack of Merkur blades with my razor, and they are pretty good, but I think I can find sharper.  I just got in 100 Astra blades though, so I guess I won't get to try Feather blades until next year.  Haha.

I finally got my Van Der Hagen start kit yesterday.  It comes with a mug, soap, and a badger brush.  WOW!  It took me a while to get the soap started and lathered, but what a difference.  I would say that if you don't take up the wet shaving, or do anything else, I really would invest in a cheap brush and some soap.  You can easily just use your own coffee mug if you don't want to spend the cash.  The Boar brushes are cheaper, but you can find reasonably priced badger brushes.  The cream is so thick, and it really helps with the shaving.  I love it.  I do get a closer shave than any cartridge, which means even though I'm having a blast, I need to shave even less now because of how close I get the shave.  LOL.

After over a year of using the Merkur blades (they weren't bad), I ordered the Gillette Silver Blues.  They are a serious step above the Merkurs.  The blades are sharp and smooth and give a great shave with fewer passes.  I really enjoy the quality of a good wet shave and I'll keep experimenting with different products.