Sign in to follow this  
Aftrthought051

Panoramix18: Dad in the Spotlight July 11th - 15th

My mom is actually really cool about all of it.  She has prosthetic legs (8 or 10 of them from over the years).  Someone called the house and asked how she was doing, she said "adjustable now, I can be as tall as I want!"  :lol  So she has a great sense of humor about all of it. 

That's good John. Laughter is the best medicine  :happyyes I have a close friend that is diabetic, I am constantly on Him about what He eats and how He takes care of Himself. I do what I can, but I will NOT give Him any insulin shots  :tongue 

Great write ups Johnny Boy!  Don't know if I'm glad I know more about you or sad!  :lmao2  Just messing, seriously though it's always a good thing to find out more about the dads you talk to and game with, makes sharing those stories all more meaningful.

BTW I believe the game was MW2.  I know cuz i killed you quite a few times.  :lmao2

Wednesday-Tell us about all your job and your hobbies

So as I said Monday I worked as a master carpenter and a resident assistant (aka babysitter for a floor of a dorm) in college.  I have done a bunch of various jobs up to and even through college.  My dad in addition to his police work runs a handy man business.  With him I have laid brick, put in floors and tiles, built walls, done plumbing and electric work basic stuff.  It has given me just enough knowledge to be stupid in the realm of home repair :lol.  In middle and high school I worked at a dairy queen and a burger king as a cook, a cashier and a person to lift and move large objects (a job title I have in nearly every job I have had).  I worked at my grandfather’s bowling alley as a cook, wait staff and a front desk clerk.  Just before college I had the BEST job ever for a young man, a parking lot attendant at a hotel on the beach.  I got to see all the women headed out to the beach for the day.  I was considered security and had to run some people off every once and a while, but it was a cake job overall.  Fast forward to the fall of 2003 and I had just ended my job with the Virginia Shakespeare Festival as a Master Carpenter at William and Mary College (another ‘he can move large objects’ job and was looking for employment in the field of Environmental Science.

I was living with my grandparents at the time and was getting desperate to find something remotely related to my field of interest.  A buddy from college called me up and said his company Midwest Research Institute was hiring if I was willing to move to Maryland.  As I didn’t have a wife and child at the time I was willing to make the move and start a whole new adventure out of my element.  So after some back and forth with HR I got an interview and landed a job as an Assistant Scientist working 8pm-5am at a lab in Maryland.  Because karma just wanted to show that she knew I had done bad things in my life the Lab Manager approached me two weeks after I started in MD and asked “You know we have opened a lab 45 minutes from where you used to live right?”  By that point I had found 2 roommates, set up power, cable, internet and telephone in a really nice 3 bedroom 2 bath apartment with all the deposits, terms and conditions to go along with them.  :lol  So moving back wasn't really an option. 

So I spent the next 3 years pining for North Carolina, but really enjoying my time in MD.  During that time I proposed to my girlfriend and amazingly enough she said yes, I still claim she just did it cause she needed health insurance after she got out of college :lol.  After 3 years a spot opened up at the lab at Camp Lejeune NC.  I jumped on it and spent the next five years living it up redneck style in NC and loving every minute of it.  Unfortunately the lab there closed, fortunately MRI was given fair warning and told us that if we wanted to stay with the company and were willing to relocate that they would find somewhere for  us to go.  I chose to relocate back to the MD office as I still had friends from my previous stint there. The relocation also promoted me from Associate Scientist to Shift Lead.  Overall I enjoy the work I do.

I don’t think of myself as a work oriented person, so my time in the lab is just that, time away from my family and friends.  I like solving problems and trouble shooting, and this environment gives me ample supply of opportunities to do both :lol.

Hobbies...  I don't know if you guys have heard of it, but there is this thing called Xbox.....yeah, waaaaayyyyy to much of my life has been sucked into that sumabitch.  I like to browse the interwebs looking for deals on things, new tech stuff, anything that catches my interest.  I like to get outdoors some, walk the dog that sort of thing. 

Oh and Halo, I love Halo.....I have a life size Cortana doll in the closet and a MC outfit (without the cod piece) for when the wife and kid are on vacation.  Yes 343i got their new MC design from me........those thieving bastards..........    :lmao2 :lmao2 :lmao2  :chiefdance :chiefdance :chiefdance

She don't love you.  Just your good health benefits.  :lmao2  You are too hard on yourself bro.  Man, you sure did a lot of moving.  Oh well, it got you to where you are today, and that can't be too bad of a thing.

I agree, I want to see pics of you and Cortana.  Only comes out when the wife and kids are gone?  Come on now bro, what kind of things are doing there.  :lmao2

:lmao2 :lmao2 Great stuff as usual John, lol'd at just getting to MD then asking "do you want to go back"  :lol If we could only catch and slap that Karma biatch !! :lol C'mon man !!! pics of Cortana !! you gotta do it !! "(without the cod piece)"  :lmao2 good stuff man !!