henry64

Craft beer heads.

Mag, we should start an exchange program or something. High IBU ales are a northwest specialty. Sort of a side-effect of the Yakima valley being home to the largest collection of hop growers in the US. I could send you some phenomenal IPAs that you probably can't get out east.

Hello everyone. I will admit I'm new to homebrewing. I have been researching like crazy to find the best ways to not only homebrew beer but also to keep it. Would this discussion belong in this thread or a new one?

Reviving this old thread as I'm planning on throwing my hat in the homebrew game. I have friends who have done it for years and I've been interested for a while. Thinking of starting off with a lager at first and hone my skills that way. I think I might move into some darker ales from there and maybe even try my hand at some mead eventually. This would be a good place to share my results when they come.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I have wanted to start brewing for a while now but the funds seem to be lacking every time the thought crosses my mind. I will be getting in to this at some point in the future.

I homebrew, not as much as I would like but I have 5 brews under my belt now. DMViking I know you posted this a while back but just FYI lagers can be a bit hard to start with because they take more temperature control. A simple pale ale is probably an easier start. My first was an amber ale. 

I've done mine from malt kits, I'd like to get into all grain brewing and make my own malt but haven't dove into that yet. I've done an Amber Ale, german wheat beer, the same german wheat but with raspberries added (turned out really sweet), a black IPA, and a holiday spiced ale. I have the pale ale ingredients sitting around the house now that I need to use.  I keep saying I would like to try and find a group to brew with around here. Seems like that would help expand my knowledge and make me a better brewer.

Another Homebrewer and Craft beer lover...well I love almost all beer...even the good ole' cheep stuff... Belgian and English ales are some my favorites...

And another brewer and beer fan.  Right now I'm drinking a Bavarian Hefeweizen and just racked a cream ale to the secondary before turning it into a raspberry cream ale.  Waionting to free up a keg then I'll try a chocolate milk stout.

Another Craft Beer fan here, and the bonus is that I live in San Diego! Brew in my off off time, I saw that someone was talking about an exchange program in the earlier posts and would love to get involved in that. 

Whats everyones favorite craft beer?

Never tried or have been interested in home brewing, but I love craft beers. Can't believe how much the market has grown the past 10 years for craft beer.

It's a great time to be a craft beer drinker!  :smile2   

I'm a fan of IPA and hoppy beers. I also enjoy ales, lagers and pilsners. Not a huge fan of stouts, but I've had a few that I've really enjoyed.

I haven't had a chance yet, but for anyone interested in seasonal stouts, Muskoka has a Double Chocolate Cranberry Stout that I hear is a great tasting beverage that only comes around once a year. It's called Winter Beard. Might be harder to find for those in the US.

http://www.muskokabrewery.com/double-chocolate-cranberry-stout.php

The craft beer market now I find overwhelming.  I'll stop by the local store and spend time and end up leaving with nothing because I can' t make up my mind. Or I end up with staples of the craft beer movement (round here can't go wrong with Victory, Neshimnay Creek, Yards, Iron Hill, 2SP). Hell the former owner of my LHBS is opening up his own place. Now I am glad to live in an area with great small local spots. but I don't get out much to some of them and what my local bottle shops and grocery stores (Wegmans) carry can be overwhelming.

I have yet to understand the market bias to IPAs, DIPAs IIPA,s BIPA, and other iteration of the style. seems over 50% of the shelves are Pale ales to Triple IPAs and various variations of them. I enjoy a good IPA, but they are far from my first choice of style. Then there are the overwhelming amount of seasonal. At least after his year will should see a massive decline of Pumpkin beers. Talk about saturation.

Also what's with all the fruity beers that have blueberry, watermelon, raspberry, cherry. I swear I'm waiting for Zima to make a come back at this point.

Home brewing can be rewarding and frustrating.  I almost equate it to golf. I wish I could do it more.  Haven't done a full 5g batch in forever. only small 2g batches that I bottle. I wish I could have the time to do it because my consistence is way off that some batches seem like an exercise in futility.