Happy Fathers Day! ×
henry64

Craft beer heads.

I love gumball head.  Not often do you find a great wheat beer with plenty of hops!

So you don't find the grapefruit taste overpowering,  or do you not taste that?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Had a Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat.... :2thumbs

0702f2af246b673aef8e823f9406926c.jpg

Not bad at all.

Leinie's does have some pretty good beers.

It's nice that they don't hammer the wallet either.

I don't know if you can obtain this type of beer where you live but Point Brewing Co. makes some decent stuff as well.

http://www.pointbeer.com/

When I have a friend who is thinking about getting into craft beers I typically direct them to start off with the offerings from Point.

Again, they aren't very tough on the wallet and most of their brews are pretty well balanced so newbs won't get grossed out by something that is overly hoppy or strong (to them).

Had a Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat.... :2thumbs

0702f2af246b673aef8e823f9406926c.jpg

Not bad at all.

Reminds me of fruity pebbles, but in a good way.  The summer Shandy isn't bad either.  I also like Sam Adams cherry wheat, which is the only Sam Adams I like. 

Lenie's (Honey Weis, Canoe Paddler, Creamy Dark) and Point (Whole Hog Limited line, incl. Russian Imperial Stout)?  Yum.  You're talking Wisconsin brewers.  Central Waters (Muddy Puppy Porter), Milwaukee Brewing (Louise's Demise), Lake Front Brewery (Eastside Dark, Cattail Ale), and Tyranena (Bitter Woman IPA, Three Beaches Honey Blonde, Headless Man Amber Alt) are also WI breweries to try.  Of course, there's always New Glarus (Totally Naked, Spotted Cow, etc.), too.

Where are you?  I'm just NW of Milwaukee in "WI's Largest Village."

Sent by banging a bunch of rocks together (and Tapatalk)

I like Upland, and that they're only an hour and a half away.  That's only if I get stuck behind an old lady on the twisty roads.

I don't know if it's new, but new to me is their Helios which was pretty good.

Upland also restarted Champagne Velvet.  It used to be brewed here, across the street from my favorite brews-traunt.  I tried it, and was sadly un-impressed.  I'm just not a pilsner fan, I guess.  :(  Really wanted CV to be good.

My little brother says there's an amazing brewery in Nashville, IN.  Whenever his wife has a class to teach in Bloomington or anywhere easterly, he gets dropped off there and spends the afternoon.  I can't remember the name, but it's supposed to be pretty popular so if you go you should be able to just ask around for directions.  I think they're starting to bottle their stuff and distribute it, but that's been within the last year and they're taking it slowly.  I keep a sharp eye out in the 2 or 3 stores in town that sell good varieties.

And though this is a thread for beer, there's a local distillery that makes a Kentucky-style bourbon called Harrison.  They're in the midsts of switching bottlers, so it's unbelievably rare to find a bottle.  If you can find the Governer's Reserve (about $50) it's really good.  Did you know that most of the real bourbon distillers use oak from Indiana?  True story.

That brings me to the Kentucky Bourbon Ale.  It's... weird.  High alcohol content, which is good.  It has some strange flavors though.  I bought a 4 pack, and I don't think I'll be buying any more.  I might buy a pint if a bar carries it though.

While looking on Google for the actual name of the bourbon ale, I discovered they also have a Bourbon Stout.  The strange flavors of the ale should go very well with the coffee flavors of a stout.

I like Upland, and that they're only an hour and a half away.  That's only if I get stuck behind an old lady on the twisty roads.

I don't know if it's new, but new to me is their Helios which was pretty good.

Upland also restarted Champagne Velvet.  It used to be brewed here, across the street from my favorite brews-traunt.  I tried it, and was sadly un-impressed.  I'm just not a pilsner fan, I guess.  :(  Really wanted CV to be good.

My little brother says there's an amazing brewery in Nashville, IN.  Whenever his wife has a class to teach in Bloomington or anywhere easterly, he gets dropped off there and spends the afternoon.  I can't remember the name, but it's supposed to be pretty popular so if you go you should be able to just ask around for directions.  I think they're starting to bottle their stuff and distribute it, but that's been within the last year and they're taking it slowly.  I keep a sharp eye out in the 2 or 3 stores in town that sell good varieties.

And though this is a thread for beer, there's a local distillery that makes a Kentucky-style bourbon called Harrison.  They're in the midsts of switching bottlers, so it's unbelievably rare to find a bottle.  If you can find the Governer's Reserve (about $50) it's really good.  Did you know that most of the real bourbon distillers use oak from Indiana?  True story.

That brings me to the Kentucky Bourbon Ale.  It's... weird.  High alcohol content, which is good.  It has some strange flavors though.  I bought a 4 pack, and I don't think I'll be buying any more.  I might buy a pint if a bar carries it though.

While looking on Google for the actual name of the bourbon ale, I discovered they also have a Bourbon Stout.  The strange flavors of the ale should go very well with the coffee flavors of a stout.

There's a bar across from the greenwood Park mall (in the same building as old time pottery) called shallos.  They have the Bourbon ale and about 500 other beers.  Decent place to try new things.  House chips are great.

There are a couple restaurant here that have 10-15 taps.  And another few that have a few hundred other beers in bottles.  One had a program where if you tried 100 or 150 beers in one year, you got a t-shirt.