Flyingfish

What are you currently reading?

I am currently reading A Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier by Joseph Plumb Martin, its a diary of a New Englander that fought in the revolutionary war. It's written in the time and so I have to say it's a bit hard to follow but also so incredible eloquent at the same time.

In High School I did a report on Ghengis Khan and found an old old old translation from his personal account of his life. I read about half of it, then the paper was due so I had to use what I had, lol... but it was pretty unique. I would probably enjoy that one as well. I don't branch out of my sci fi stuff very often though :lol

Haha here is an selection from the diary, he is talking about the hardship he has to endure,

I was soon relieved from this guard, and with those who were able, of our two regiments, sent to reinforce those in the fort [Mifflin], which was then besieged by the British. Here I endured hardships sufficient to kill half a dozen horses. Let the reader only consider for a moment and he will still be satisfied if not sickened. In the cold month of November, without provisions, without clothing, not a scrap of either shoes or stockings to my feet or legs, and in this condition to endure a siege in such a place as that was appalling in the highest degree.

In confirmation of what I have here said, I will give the reader a short description of the pen that I was confined in. Confined I was, for it was next to impossible to have got away from it, if I had been so disposed. Well, the island, as it is called, is nothing more than a mud flat in the Delaware, lying upon the west side of the channel. It is diked around the fort, with sluices so constructed that the fort can be laid under water at pleasure, (at least, it was so when I was there, and I presume it has not grown much higher since. On the eastern side, next the main river, was a zigzag wall built of hewn stone, built, as I was informed, before the Revolution at the king's cost. At the southeastern part of the fortification (for fort it could not with propriety be called) was a battery of several long eighteen-pounders and one thirty-two pounder.

Like I said, it can be hard to follow but it's fascinating that this is how they wrote back then. I remember a comedian doing a joke about the difference between the writing of letters to loved one from the civil war to the most current gulf war. While being very funny, it was also very sad

Rereading the entire original Dune series on my tablet, the series written by Frank Herbert.

Bought it a month ago for $10 I think. Couldn't pass up a 6 book set for that price.

Love those books!

I'm currently reading The Portrait of Dorian Gray.  Previously, I read the first 3 (and currently only) books in a series called A Pattern of Shadow and Light by Melissa McPhail. Seems fairly Jordan-esque, if not at quite the same scale as the Wheel of Time. Really good books, though. Can't wait for her to finish the 4th book. First book in the series is Cephrael's Hand.

Currently I'm reading The Trafalgar gambitbook 3 of the Ark Royal science fiction series, by Christopher Nuttall.  Pretty good science fiction series about naval combat in the future, pretty good series so far!  :2thumbs

Stopped reading the Dune Series.

Someone at work let me borrow their copy of Divergent, so I'm gonna give that a read. Was told I'd really like it since we both have a lot in common.