Flyingfish

What are you currently reading?

I am telling you guys, if you love the fantasy stuff, you absolutely have to read the Dresden Files.  15th book comes out in December I think and I cannot wait.  For me it is the best book series that I have read.  If you are into audible James Marsters is the narrator, and he IS Harry Dresden from the first book until the 12th.  The 13th book was ruined by him not narrating due to a conflict in schedules, but the 14th made up for it.

Guest Nonedercover

I just finished reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline for the second time. If you haven't read it it's a trip down 80's pop culture memory lane. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

Just finished Divergent, Insurgent, and Allegient .  All good books and unlike Hunger Games, the 3rd books was serious business and not a rush job.

Currently Reading:

The Great War: Breakthrough

by Harry Turtledove

Reading the Aubrey/Maturin Series of books by Patrick O' Brian...

First book is "Master and Commander", they made a movie about it... as well as a couple other books.

Good movie, good series... and at 21 books in the series, it's something I can dig my teeth into.

Sailing for Dummies and The Complete Trailer Sailor, again and again.  Would hate to sink the first time I put my boat in the water.

Harry Turtledove?  He writes those alternate history books, right?  How's his style? 

I'm also reading Crusade, the 2nd book in Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen series.  The story puts a late WWI era destroyer recommissioned for WWII and being pummeled by the Japanese at Java through a wormhole, sending it to an alternate earth where homo sapiens never evolved.  The crew finds itself caught in a genocidal war between other evolved species, though the earth looks pretty much the same.  Although their destroyer's tech is powerful in comparison to this alternate world's tech, they face an overwhelming number of enemies.  In the 2nd book, the Destroyermen realize the Yamato passed through the same wormhole and has been captured by the enemy species.

Sent by banging a bunch of rocks together (and Tapatalk)

Turtledove's style is very fluid.  He has some decent R rated scenes every few chapters.  He really knows his history enough to make history his own.

His character development is very strong and I find myself intrigued by every character.  Chapters are in character pov similar to Song of Ice and Fire.