Granitebeard

Mechwarrior 5

Has anyone grabbed Mechwarrior 5 and played it yet? Just wondering as I still have 4.5 hours of work plus I might have a date night tonight. I have been looking forward to this for a while and will be interested to see how it is.

Granitebeard! I haven't seen you around in a while! The heck with Mechwarrior 5. What's up with this date!? ;)

You on our discord channel?

Hey begs, Yeah I have mostly been lurking, and haven't played WoWs in months... My girlfriend dragged me out to a new agey focus wheel thingy... I have an account with discord, but don't use it a lot. Hope things with you have been good.

But no Mechwarrior 5 so far for me has been a good throw back to the older mechwarrior games. I feel it has a very mechwarrior 3 vib. There are some company management side of things that seem clucky, but the mech side is good.

I just started the campaign and only got through the intro chain, but so far, it's feeling a lot like MWO with the control scheme. I have to dust off my mech abilities as it's been over a year since I last played MWO, so I may be somewhat off in this comparison and have to work on my skills. I had a hard time last night getting myself used to turning the torso to spread incoming damage so that I don't get cored. Haven't played long enough for all of the mechanics, but I do know you are locked out of some of the customization that MWO has such as the engine plus, there appears to be a refit/repair time window ("days" within the campaign) for mechs so you can't just change them and jump in a battle. That's for campaign, so not sure how this works for instant action though.

For me, it's a PvE game that I wanted MWO to be so I'm excited to see more and enjoy the various mechs.

Yep, I am finding myself more drawn to PVE games lately. I always have, just the draw of a lot of the PVP ones pulled me in... 

I felt I learned a lot last night. One thing I recommend, is going to a economic hub, do repairs there, and get a full lance ASAP.

23 hours ago, Gaarafield said:

Haven't played long enough for all of the mechanics, but I do know you are locked out of some of the customization that MWO has such as the engine plus, there appears to be a refit/repair time window ("days" within the campaign) for mechs so you can't just change them and jump in a battle. That's for campaign, so not sure how this works for instant action though.

For me, it's a PvE game that I wanted MWO to be so I'm excited to see more and enjoy the various mechs.

I think they are stealing from Battletech, the new one from last year or the year before. The point is that your leopard isn't big enough to perform engine changes. The armor and only one weapon per hard point kind of mifs me, but oh well.

On 12/12/2019 at 9:11 AM, Granitebeard said:

I think they are stealing from Battletech, the new one from last year or the year before. The point is that your leopard isn't big enough to perform engine changes. The armor and only one weapon per hard point kind of mifs me, but oh well.

While I enjoyed the ability to create variety in MWO with engine changes and mount points being more open, the limitations on a plus side keep me from spend even more time in the mech bay toying with builds (as if I don't already spend a lot of time there in MW5).

As for lances, I try to keep a full mech bay (12 mechs) in MW5 so that I can put 3 drop decks together in combat zones and then fly back to the industrial zones to repair them all. Makes your time out more efficient to get 2-3 missions done and then fly back out. Any mechs you salvage with a full deck go to cold storage so you don't lose out and in a way, gain more deck storage as they keep their armaments in place. The trick here is that you'll need to drop one of your mechs on deck to cold storage (strips it of components/weapons) to bring the cold storage mechs out to strip down and/or sell.

Question - given I'm in campaign mode, when I finish the campaign, will I no longer be able to play my storyline merc outfit? Part of the fun is the salvage and purchase finds so I'd hate to be stuck with the instant action which just gives you all mechs from what I've seen (haven't played it yet).

7 hours ago, bergsteiger said:

What is this new age focus wheel you speak of?

LOL sorry you got me laughing with this.... http://www.thelawofattraction.com/add-oomph-to-your-intentions-with-a-focus-wheel/

Follow the link for a good idea. Basically it is choosing something you want for your life and "sending out the energy to make that happen for you." Not going to say it is buttkiss, but not going to say I think it is working thus far...

PvE? can't tell if you are joking... Play vs Environment. Basically single player style gaming. MW5 is really good for it. While I like the customization of MWO, MW5 gives me the game I really want to play.

Ah ok. Power of positive thinking, but with goals. Well, I suppose if nothing else it can't hurt.

No, I wasn't joking. Not much of a gamer. So PvE is like any game that existed pre-cable internet 😉 I will have to see if any of those are on Steam. Which one of the Mechwarriors is the best in your opinion?