Sign in to follow this  
Aftrthought051

Ruiner: Dad in the Spotlight Jan 7th - 11th

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't know how a guy so damn ugly has such a beautiful family.

He didn't show you a picture of his milkman from a year ago.  :biggrin

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't know how a guy so damn ugly has such a beautiful family.

:lol you sooooooooooooo rude :taunt

Great write up Jer bear, its a very intersting life story you have. Thanks for sharing, you are truly a good person, dad, friend, husband. :happyyes

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

Guest Renovatio 42

Like I've told you before, you and you're wife were just babies when you two met! That's awesome how your different paths ended up crossing again and you guys built a family together. Be proud that you learned from the past and other people's mistakes, you have become a great person, husband, and father that you are today.

Great pics of your family!

Did you have to cut-up a "1st Birthday" T-shirt into a bib for your big boy?!?  :lmao2 

Aftr - My younger sister is about to be 15. She and mom moved back to the general area I grew up in to live with my grandmother after Lacey's sperm donor was finally out of the picture. They have a place of their own now and are doing well all things considered. Check the link towards the end of the post for a video where both are interviewed for Lacey's school.

And yes, our current mailman is apparently quite the looker, but prior to him it was a fairly unattractive woman who was around at the time of my son's conception, and we lived in a different house for my daughter's.  :lmao2

Tek - Look in the mirror for more evidence of such a thing happening  :taunt

Dan - Perry County. Kind of near Zanesville, Lancaster and Newark, but not really close to any of them.

Ah Jeremy, one of my favorite guys on the site ! Sorry I'm late man ! Super stoked your doing this and I'm looking forward to the rest ! Great stuff man, it's always cool to hear what makes a guy great !!

And dude, your little sister is freaking amazing !!!! I'd treat her good dude, cause she's gonna be somebody one day !! Seriously you can tell by the confidence in her speech !!!!

Well done buddy !!

Ok, job and hobbies!  Hopefully this one will be a bit more light-hearted and have slightly less daddy issues... but don't count on it!

Job first, my official title is Midwest Time Management Group Coordinator. The unofficial title is Executive Babysitter and Tattletale.  Even less glamorous, I work in a call center and keep track of people's time worked and tell their bosses when they call off sick too much or take too much Vacation.  It's not the greatest of jobs, and I unfortunately don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that I made a positive impact on the world each day.  However, I get to sit in a $1200 ergonomic chair in a climate controlled building and push buttons on a keyboard all day, so I have certainly had worse jobs with less benefits.  I also get to be entertained from time to time for people's reasoning for not coming to work, and on the rare occasion play a part in someone losing their job for doing something stupid, like making fake bereavement documents at Kinko's.  I will be with the company for 11 years in June, provided people still like to call off work and not fill out their own timesheets correctly.

My other job is being Mr. Mom on nights my wife works, or weekends when she sleeps.  That one doesn't pay nearly as much, in fact I'm pretty sure it's why I still put up with the other job, but the benefits are unlimited, and my peers are pretty easy to work with... most days.

I would tell you about my "hobbies," but since I only have one that will have to do.  You will want to be sure you are sitting down when you read this, but my only real hobby is... wait for it... video games!  Big shock, I know.

If you've been following along all week, you know I grew up in the sticks, literally. So there wasn't much to do during the winter months and rainy days when playing outside wasn't an option.  At the time, we only got three channels (NBC, CBS and ABC on a clear day), and VCR tapes were still pretty expensive to buy/rent, and even so, we lived 45 minutes away from the closest video store.  Also for reference, out VCR remote had a cord on it (that thing was like 25 feet long!) so we are talking primitive times by today's standards.

However, we also had an Atari 2600.  Oh man did I think that thing was pure magic!  I think we only had Pac-Man, Combat, Space Invaders, Ka-Boom and Pitfall, but I would have played that from morning to night if I could.  I only stopped playing it because at one point my dad knew a guy who knew a guy, etc. etc. who hooked us up with an Atari computer, the 800 XL, which I actually still have to this day.  Not only did it have "far superior graphics and sound," but it also had a keyboard, used the same joysticks and paddles as the 2600, and had a floppy disc drive AND cassette drive.  For you young folks, the cassette drives weren't cartridges, but actual cassette tapes, like the ones that they used to sell music on, and you would hook that thing up to your computer, hit play, and watch it program your computer right in front of your eyes. Witchcraft I tells ya!

Anyway, the other benefit to this was the Shady McShaderson who hooked my dad with all of this stuff also gave him like 80 games on the floppy discs (and they were actually floppy back then, 5.75 inches of floppy), so I pretty much had just about any type of game you could think of to keep me entertained.  Flying, racing, plat-former, text adventure (Zork, b!tches!), space exploration, I had them all, and I played them all... a LOT!  Later on of course I upgraded to NES, SNES, N64, PC and so on, but I will never forget my Atari roots.

Now, I used to think that I got all hooked out of boredom and having nothing else better to do.  However, recently I've been wondering if there was more to it, only because I still play games today.  See, we got the 800 XL shortly before my dad left.  As an 8 year-old, that was a hard pill to swallow, and I think I played most during that time of my life.  As I look back now, I wonder if maybe it was a control thing, like that was the only time I felt like I could make things go how I wanted them to, and if for some reason it didn't work out, I could always just start over and try again.  Even to this day, the wife and I get the kids to bed, have our normal talk about our day, then she goes to bed, and I head right to my basement man-cave and hop on Raptr to see who is playing what.  Granted, I'm not playing anything as I write this, but this magic time of the day is when I feel like I can do whatever I want and unwind, blow off steam, or just stare at game trailers or reviews on YouTube; its my Calgon moment each day.

So now anyone who has played with or against me online is probably thinking " For the love of everything sacred, If you have been playing games for 30+ years, why are you so awful at them?!?!"  Well, to that I will first say "SHUT UP PAUL, RENO, MAGMA and TEK!"  Second, and here's where the daddy issues come into play, I think I blame my dad for that.

I've never been a competitive person.  I think this goes back to my dad and how he treated us, or acted around us, after the Browns lost or his team lost in a softball tournament.  He always took things so seriously, even to the point of screaming at, and in a few occasions, fighting with, teammates and umpires, that at times I wondered why he did them at all if they caused him so much grief when he lost.  So, most of my gaming as I got older leaned towards single player games and/or RPG's.  Things that didn't pit me up against another person who, in theory at least, had a chance to either be mad at me if they lost, or rub it in my face if they didn't. I didn't have to worry about hurting someone, or being hurt by them, so it was easier to just play things alone.  I think that's why even today, I pretty much only play co-op games with others, and still have no qualms about being last on the leader boards.

That, or I just really have no skill, am getting worse as I get older, and will be the best player for the other team no matter which team I'm on.  Either way, at least I'm honest with myself, and my teammates, and I'm still having fun.  :2thumbs

Cool deal.  How did you end up being the position you are in now?  Seems like a real cush job, but of course, you aren't making friends at work no doubt.  :lol

I think I get more pissed at single player games.  Games that are so hard it is just frustrating.  I scream at my TV how unfair the game is and how much I hate it.  My wife laughs of course, but I also hear my son screaming and venting in his room when he can't beat a particular part.  Trying to correct it, but in the moment it's difficult.  Still, my son does not get upset like that in multiplayer and neither do I, or anything competitive, so I guess that is good judging from your perspective of things.  So thanks.

I had a VCR with a cord too, and we got that thing AFTER everyone else had wireless remotes for their TV's and VCR's.  Haha.  So embarrassing as a kid.  You just don't understand those things.