Sign in to follow this  
Aftrthought051

Ruiner: Dad in the Spotlight Jan 7th - 11th

Let's welcome now, to the spotlight, the dad with his hands in more things than a kid in a candy store.  Ruiner!  That's right.  Mister sit in the shadows and poke fun at everyone else has finally offered himself up to be dissected by us.  So be gentle.  Don't scare him off.  He finally didn't see his shadow and came out.  :lol  :trap

Monday-Tell us about yourself and how you found us

Tuesday-Tell us about your family

Wednesday-Tell us about all your job and your hobbies

Thursday-Tell us about where you have been and where you want to go

Friday-Other dads from the site question the dad in the spotlight, ask them a question and they answer it(within reason)

Alright guys, I tend to ramble, so I will try to keep this as brief as possible (lies).  If anyone wants more details on anything, let me know and I will oblige.  Hopefully my world-renowned dry humor translates well in text form over the next week.

So, the basics; Jeremy, Ohio, 35, father, gamer, lover, Libra, and usually the guy in last in any competitive (and most co-op) leader boards.

Short and easy version of how I found myself here is the Xbox forums while doing a Google search for "Gears of Wars Dads," or something to that effect.

Enhanced version is that I was looking for someone to play Gears (and other things with) after being "abandoned" by the last friend I had left.  I used quotes because he actually had a ton of personal life stuff going on at the time, and is now divorced, so he didn't have time to devote to me, and I completely understand.  However, after hounding me for literally years to get a 360 so I could play this marvelous and wonderful Gears of War series with him, I finally cave in only for him to run me through the campaigns (skipping movies/collectibles) over a period of 2 months, and never play anything again, I felt a bit cheated.

Plus, our relationship changed a bit after I got married, and even more so after my daughter came, so I don't think he ever really adapted well.  He didn't understand why it wasn't easy for me to drop everything for hanging out at toy/comic conventions, going to the theatre to see random movies, etc.  Nor did he ever understand why I refused to try and play any games until after my daughter was in bed (this is a personal choice/rule).  Anyway, after that, I literally had no friends left, other than my wife, and I needed a bromance or two to fill the gap.

Now, at this point, you may be thinking, "what kind of loser only has one friend?"  Well, simply put, I don't like people.  In a nutshell, I think there are more bad seeds than good apples in the world today, and negative as it may be, I always preferred quality over quantity when it came to a social life.  The downside to that, is in just over a year, I lost all of those friends under different and sudden circumstances. One fell of the radar after losing his wife and kids to a battle with addiction to pills and alcohol (more on him later), another quite literally disappeared one night after getting into (another) serious/physical fight with his fiancée' (still haven't heard from him), and then there was the Xbox guy.

So, I signed up here, added some names to the XBL friends list, and lurked for a few weeks during the Gears and Beers nights.  I said next to nothing those nights because reading what DHO is about here on the forums seems too good to be true at first, so I assumed there was a catch that I just hadn't caught on to yet..  Also, I find that you learn way more about someone by listening to and observing them, more than you do with direct interaction.  That way you can see them for who they are, rather than the person they are trying to make you see.  Needless to say, Aftr, Center, Fiendish, Zilt and the Irish boys (Fuse and Acid) made me feel like I was playing with long time friends, despite knowing nothing about me AND tolerating my complete lack of any skill or knowledge of the game. 

For better (for me) or worse (for most of DHO), I decided to hang my hat here, and found it to be exactly what I needed.  I've met some great guys, and made some quality friends in addition to having a bit more quantity as well (you know, for back up this time).  DHO has also shown me that even if there aren't as many good apples as I would like to see in the world, there are still some around, and they apparently like to hang out together, so it's just a matter of finding the right tree to sit under.

Thanks for being what you are, DHO!  :2thumbs

awwwwwwwwwww we are happy to have you here brotha, thanks for being in such a great community. Let the Bromance continue...in Pitts closet that is :lol

Great first day write up Jeremy! looking forward to this week :woot

Now, at this point, you may be thinking, "what kind of loser only has one friend?"  Well, simply put, I don't like people.  In a nutshell, I think there are more bad seeds than good apples in the world today, and negative as it may be, I always preferred quality over quantity when it came to a social life.

Awesome write up bud and gotta say I'm pretty much the same way as the above quote.

That made me smile.  I felt so bad that first night we played.  Here's Hoody, not really saying much (which I completely get/understand because I do the EXACT same thing with new people), and the Irish boys are not taking it easy on him AT ALL.  I strategically try to put myself on the other team so that I can find his character and let him kill me a few times.  That did not work.  Panic set in.  Button mashing ensued, and next thing I know I killed Hoody Nynja like 5 times in a row.  Man, this guy is never going to play with us again.  :lol  Thank goodness Jeremy stuck around and didn't take the beating to heart.  Still, I think I have yet to play another game with you.  :lol  Maybe some Mass Effect I think, but that was it.  Co-op or nothing.  Haha.

That sucks with your friends, but again, I completely get it.  Once married, I saw all my single friends go away.  I also saw friends I had that didn't enjoy parenthood and being married going away too.  I probably have one friend here close by.  If I had never met Joey, I would never have any other.  Thankfully we live close, but he proved to me that just the simple fact of establishing a friendship online, it will continue in real life.  Sure, I should look to my marriage and wife for that, but Joey showed it is true for bromances (as you say) as well.

So it's great to have you here, and hope you continue to stop on by for years to come.

Guest Renovatio 42

Great write-up!!! I'm glad you're here and that you self-sacrificed volunteered to be in the spotlight. I remember you playing & not talking, I had just assumed that you were gaming while everyone in your house was sleeping or you had a busted mic. Don't fault the guy for leaving you dry after your xbox experience... he's from Ohio! j/k :lmao2

I'm looking forward to the rest of your week. Prepare for Friday, I'll have questions for ya! :smile2

Sent like a Beast using my Thumbs and Tapatalk

Nice going.

Glad you found us. And since you're in the same general are we should have a beer or two sometime.

Keep it comin!

Wait....Reno....I'm from Ohio! Round on the ends and high in the middle!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Yep, another Ohio-ite (well, born in) speaking up here.  Reno is on the WoT hit list now.  :lol2. (um, if he's on that game)

Great to see you here Jeremy.  Xbox was an in for me, too.  The whole friend thing drying up when becoming a dad seems to be a common thing.  My kid-less buds are a rare site and my dad friends all have kids older than mine, so I sit in the middle.  Then BAM! DHO swoops in like a bunch of superheros, somewhat crazy and occassionally drunk, but good guys nonetheless.  I think the R.Stones sang it right, "you don't always get what you want/ you get what you need."  Glad you found us.

Looking forward to reading more about you.  Might even pick up Mass Effect (2?) if that's what you guys play once in a while.

Cheers!

And not one mention of the only guy who can really satisfy you  :cry. And yes you suck at competitive gaming. Great write up though and glad you came!!!!! Pun intended

Aftr - I'm glad you guys didn't pull punches those first few weeks.  I expected to get pwned considering my my limited experience with the game and series, and I assumed the lessons learned were about to be hard ones. :lol

It made me (very slightly) better later on, as months later I could be counted on for at least one kill per match, and actually came in clutch a few times as the last guy left on the team taking out the last 3 on the other (so what if 2 were bots)  :taunt

The other game night we were in was the Uncharted 3 night I planned and only you, me and Delive (I think, maybe Panzer showed for a bit too).  Which was fine since we just did the co-op stuff, but you both were just as patient and understanding of my lack of skills.

Reno - My BL2 bossom buddy.  When oh when are you going to load up the DLC and meet me in Pandora again?  And why won't you tell me why you hate Ohioans so much?

Dan - You sent me a PM when I first joined about meeting up for a beer.  I was wondering who this creepy stalker guy was and why does he want to meet me IRL already.  Now I know you are just a regular stalker, not the creepy kind, and the first round will be on me as soon as we pick a date and time.  I'm thinking this place, as their wings are AWESOME.  The views aren't bad either  :2thumbs

http://www.tiltedkilt.com/

Paul - Oh my little Paulie... and I do mean little. We have shared so many late nights together that I have fallen asleep to your voice more times than I can count... oh wait, no, that's you passing out in the middle of our games.  Stop drinking whiskey during our co-op escapades, Jerkwad!  :lmao2