Sign in to follow this  
Juggernaut41

Ranked Battles Tips (sorta)

Your mileage may vary for lots of reasons, but a couple of things to consider:

- The mode is indeed different than pubs, at least on the front end when you are generally mixed in with more purples/blues than in all tier X pubbie games. Having said that, all the fundamentals of good play are the same, just a few things become a bit more pronounced in importance

- On balance, there is a bit more tendency for people to push early for damage. Because of this, look for situations early where you have good players around you where you can be aggressive. The likelihood that you will get support is marginally higher than pubs

- Consider (further) de-emphasizing situational tanks... favor whatever tanks you play ok that have the ability to flex. This will minimize the chance you end up bottom 5 on a winning team... and give you a better shot of being top 6 on a losing team. 

- Passive TD play is a low probability way to progress in ranked

- you are going up against a lot of good players.. they will generally be maxed out on everything... equip your tank and crew accordingly. Or, just know that you will he operating at a bit of a disadvantage. 

- consider strategic yolos in autoloaders. Already done enough damage to get you in the top 11? Have enough health to yolo a really good player in a strategic position and take him out? Almost always dumb in pubs. It’s occasionally not dumb in ranked. People are pushing for damage but still get held up by a purple in a good spot. Take him out, and things can change fast. Did this twice last night... both times the course of the battle changed a ton within 45 seconds. Has to be the right situation, but is worth considering

Again, view the above as “changes on the margin”, not revolutionary... the fundamentals of good play remain 95% (or more) intact. 

@Juggernaut41 I don't understand the system for this season with the 20 battles and divisions and chevrons and what not. Hopefully you do understand. Can we get a quick rundown?

1 hour ago, gpc_4 said:

@Juggernaut41 I don't understand the system for this season with the 20 battles and divisions and chevrons and what not. Hopefully you do understand. Can we get a quick rundown?

So the quick skinny:

- everyone has to go through a 20 game qualification round. You don’t really qualify for anything. The chevrons you have at the end of the qualification round translate into “bonus games”. Bonus games can be used to double a chevron (or two chevrons if you are top 3) in ensuing rounds. Only one bonus game per tank per day. 

- then 3 levels of progressive rounds... if you make it through all three you get a whole bunch of stuff... something like 6k bonds total. 

I guess I'll try to put in the 20 battles at least. The bonus game stuff raised more questions then it answered 🙂

10 hours ago, gpc_4 said:

I guess I'll try to put in the 20 battles at least. The bonus game stuff raised more questions then it answered 🙂

It’s the exact same mechanic as the 5 optional XP boosters you get in pubs... except for chevrons. So... once you get beyond the 20 games... you can optionally use a “bonus game” to put a times 2 on your chevron. Catch is that you can only use one bonus game per tank per day. You receive bonus games at end of qualification round equally to the chevrons you have by end of that round. You also receive 12 bonus games at the end of the completion of each of the 3 succeeding rounds. 

7 hours ago, gpc_4 said:

Wow, Ranked still really sucks. I regret giving it another shot. 

Hmmm... maybe I just got a lucky set of 20 games... I do expect it to be no fun to the extent I progress and have to play against 10 chieftains and 5 279es... 

I was in the top 3 5 times and was number 1 4 times (twice in steamroll losses). Even with that I only ended up with 11 chevrons at the end. 

a shorter way of explaining my post above is that being aggressively aggressive or aggressively defensive is the way to go... 

another point is stop thinking about winning... only think about how to be top 6 in a loss and top 10 in a win. 

also, video Kilo posted above is skill’s broken English explanation of the mechanics. 

Completed qualification. It went really bad. I think I was 8-12...maybe. Plus, for at least two of those wins I didn't earn a chevron.

Kept playing so I could better understand the bonus battles. Actually had a good run, 6-2 with top three on a win three times. It was not terrible tonight. 

9 hours ago, gpc_4 said:

Completed qualification. It went really bad. I think I was 8-12...maybe. Plus, for at least two of those wins I didn't earn a chevron.

Kept playing so I could better understand the bonus battles. Actually had a good run, 6-2 with top three on a win three times. It was not terrible tonight. 

Nice! I played some too... didn’t seem like the bonus battles were optional... automatically applied for me. I had some reversion to the mean last night... only 2 games where I earned a chevron, lost a bunch so after 8 games I think I am one chevron off the floor...