Sign in to follow this  
Aftrthought051

Toanstation: Dad in the Spotlight Nov. 26th - 30th

Alright guys, new week, new Dad in the Spotlight.  This week, Toanstation has offered up his soul to be ripped apart.  So thanks for volunteering and let's hear all about it so we can get to know you.

Monday-Tell us about yourself and how you found us

Tuesday-Tell us about your family

Wednesday-Tell us about all your job and your hobbies

Thursday-Tell us about where you have been and where you want to go

Friday-Other dads from the site question the dad in the spotlight, ask them a question and they answer it(within reason)

Monday-Tell us about yourself and how you found us

My name's Mike. I'm... *does math* 45. I live just outside Philadelphia, PA, but I'm originally from central New Jersey. I grew up basically all over Monmouth and Ocean counties in NJ. I didn't have the most stable of home life's when I was a kid. When I stopped talking to my father about 20 years ago (nothing dramatic, really), he was on his fifth marriage. I was a product of his first (she was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic after I was born), I have a half-brother with Tourettes from the second (she was a smoker and an alcoholic), and a half-sister and half-brother from the fourth (nothing odd in this one). Fortunately, I don't appear to have inherited my mother's schizophrenia. And, I'm not bitter about any of this; I accept it all as just part of what makes me me. It does make me worry at times how good a dad I'll be without any kind of good reference, but my wife is convinced that I have all the makings of a good dad (and our son apepars to be doing well). I was disappointed, though, about his fourth wife leaving him, as that side of the family was best extended family I ever had; it felt too awkward to talk to them after that divorse.

As a kid, I was basically the nerdy kid that everyone picked on. This wasn't helped by the fact that we wound up moving about every two years. Probably, the most noteworthy place I've lived is Red Bank, NJ, home of View Askew Productions and Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash. When I got to 8th grade, my dad settled down somewhat, so I spent 8th grade and high school in the Red Bank public school system (it was pretty good, I think). The closest brush to fame I had was in high school where I had Max Weinberg's wife for home room for two years (the Red Bank area was a Mecca of Springsteen fans).

I went to college at Widener University in Chester, PA and graduated with BS in Chemistry Education and a Minor in Chemistry. But, I'm not a teacher; more about that on Wednesday.

Since 8th grade, I've been what you would call a gamer (more on Wednesday), and I currently enjoy the social interaction that comes with the gaming in MMOs, so for the last several years, my current crop of games has tended to include an MMO of some kind. After watching several livestreams of Mike on Massively.com playing World of Tanks, I decided to try it out. After all, you could play the game rather satisfactorily for free, so there was nothing to lose other than some time. I found it fun, if frustrating at times. So, I checked out the WoT clan forums and came across the recruitment post for DHO. It had all thehallmarks of a good fit: adults, laid back, and all dads (people with the same kind of challenges and sources of stress as me). I think the real proof of the laid back, let's just have fun attitude was my first Clan Wars battle in DHO3. The company commander was cautioning other members against brining high tier tanks because we were expecting to face overwhelming odds, so why pay a ridiculous repair bill. And then, once the battle started, aside from the periodic "I'm deads," by the raucous on Vent, you would've thought we were winning. I was even cheered on, when my little M5 Stuart was the last tank on our side, and I died facehugging the map edge. It was a blast!

Toan, how could you not pull off that victory?  What are you guys doing over there?  :lmao2  So glad you had a good time.  We lose a lot of dads because we just don't take Clan Wars serious enough.  So I'm just glad you had a good time because after the stress of our lives and families, do we need more from a game?  I don't think so.

I've always said that you can be just as great of a dad from seeing what NOT to do as a father from recognizing the faults you've seen growing up.  Same as a leader.  When you see things that you don't agree with, you don't go along with them because "that's how it was done for me and I turned out fine".  Instead, you see the fault and make the corrections.  I think that makes you a great father figure as well.

Now where's the picture of you with Kevin and Jason?  I think those guys rock.  If I ever made my way out that way, I know for sure I would stop by his comic book store while my wife rolled her eyes.

Great first day man.  So much to take in and read.  Can't wait to see the rest of the week.

Great start Toan, I personally don't buy into what a person's past has to do with what kinda parent they are going to be !! I'm sure your wife is right about your makings as a dad !!!  :2thumbs

Looking forward to the rest of the week !!!

Guest nephilim

When your the last one...run rings around the enemy getting them to fire at each other...that's how you win.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Great intro!  Being relatively new here, I can honestly agree with the experience you had here At DHO and in WoT.  Ditto to the casual, let's just play and have a good time atmosphere.  Welcome!!

K