Grimm65

World of Warcraft - Classic

So I started playing World of Warcraft in the Cataclysm expansion so never got to see Azeroth as it had  once been before the sundering.  Just this morning I logged into the brand new World of Warcraft Classic game and my wife and I have been laughing our asses off.  

Having to level the individual weapon skills - having to actually wear grey items until you can scrounge up enough copper to buy a white.

Not sure if I am going to actually end up enjoying  this or get so frustrated since none of the quality of life items/systems are in the game that I have know form when I started - like not being able to ride until level 40

I have never played WoW but an old guildy of mine from my SWG days has finally twisted my arm to give it a try.... I will be a total newb and I’m excited about it.

Been watching YT videos on classes and races.

Looking forward to something new.

I played back in 2005 & 2006. I was in the military at the time and once I met my girlfriend (who would become my wife) I stopped playing entirely. I just happened to see on Twitch that they re-launched classic and I immediately started a new account. I'm currently playing on the Westfall server as a dwarf priest (lvl 9). I would love to play with some of the guys here if there is anyone looking to play together. 

What's the advantage to starting again in Classic vs playing the current version? I don't see myself getting into it, but my son mentioned it today so it's at least on the radar.

13 hours ago, Mykk said:

What's the advantage to starting again in Classic vs playing the current version?

It's mostly just a nostalgia thing more than anything else. I've not played the current iteration of the game so I can't speak to that.  I think it's just a throwback to the old days. I think guys like myself are probably the target audience, we played back in the day but grew up and now have a life/family and they want to drag us back in

@mse09 I started playing again as well. I am also on the Westfall server. Have a 11 mage, OldChub. And a 6 rogue, CrimeScene. Maybe we can toon up sometime.

Between the two of you I'd be tempted to try Classic. I read several articles this afternoon about it, and I'm still thinking Modern is a better fit (easier leveling, solo leveling). I'm thinking for my son, not for me. That said, even my ancient account has very good characters and way too many credits/gold or whatever it's called.

What was that elephant mount? I could afford it, but then I quit.

I stopped playing WOW during Wrath as I saw it as a "just get to max level" kind of game then. They took from the story and made it just about getting the next best thing they patched. Perhaps this is why i like the Elder Scroll stand alone games more than MMO RPGs. It was also just too easy, no challenges to really make me want to work for something. I joined a vanilla server and have been playing at my own pace and doing OK. I won't go back to a paid subscription, when I can play for free and there are still thousands of people playing.

My son is probably still too wrapped up in LotRO to start a new MMO, but if he did try WoW, he'd be starting from scratch. In that case, what do you think? Sounds like the non-Classic (what do they call that?) would be better? Because it's easier to solo, and easier in general? I could even re-activate my old account, which as I recall I had an obscene amount of gold or whatever the currency was. Just before I quit, I could afford one of those elephant mounts back in the day, which at the time was rare. So maybe I could buy him stuff, I don't know.