Sign in to follow this  
Blackroan

Gold Spamming Sheet Lords...

So, I have been grinding the IS-M (Tier 8 Russian Heavy) pretty hard the past few days and I noticed I was getting penned quite a bit. I consider myself a decent player and I was curious why. I decided to run a minor crude experiment and here is what I did:

I turned on my damage taken log for 40 games to see how much gold was being slung at me (the in game one as I play without any kind of mods) and recorded tier spread, hits received and by what. Now I am not a mathematician so I rounded to the nearest tenth. Here are my results:

Tier Spread: 13 games at +2 (bottom tier), 14 games at +1/-1 (mid-tier) and 13 games at top tier (including all games +0 to -2)

Gold round hits received by tier VIII's and lower: 4.7/10   

3 Biggest gold spammers: 1. Skoda-T27                            5.8/10 

2. Defender                               5.1/10

3. (Tie) Skorpion/Cromwell   4.9/10

Gold round hits received by tier IX's:  5.2/10

3 biggest gold spammers: 1. Obj 430                                5.7/10

2. EBR 90                                 5.6/10

3. T30                                       5.5/10

Gold round hits received by X's:  7.8/10

3 biggest gold spammers: 1. Obj 430U                              8.7/10

2. T95/FV4201                         8.1/10

3. Obj. 277                                8.0/10

Yes, I realize there are faults:  it was "only" 40 games... I kept seeing the same T30 and I am pretty sure he was spamming straight gold... the Skoda-T27 was new this weekend so there were a bunch of them out there, but the difference between X's and everyone else was staggering. Keep in mind this was a TIER 8 HEAVY! It seemed that "most" of the lower tiers would start with standard rounds and switch to gold rounds when they had trouble penetrating, but most of the Xs that hit me with gold did so from the first shot (like they either had only gold loaded or hit the 2 key during the count down). Anyway, it was just an observation and some faulty math, but I was curious. So take my faulty and crude experiment with a grain of salt. What are your thoughts? (on the gold "epidemic" not my experiment... I realize that it isn't the most accurate as I did this on pencil and paper with a calculator, not a spread sheet) Have you guys had similar casual observations? Am I just being paranoid? 

Interesting study.  The IS-M was a tough nut to crack when I played it.  

OT - going to be up your way this weekend with the family.  Just a few days off to decompress before my son hits the books again at NCSU.

The T27, Defender, and Skorpion (G presumably) make sense because they are all premiums, easy enough to print credits.

The tier 9s I have no clue.

At tier 10 you have the t95/fv4201 which is owned mostly by the top players, right, so I would think they come by credits pretty easy, and I heard it's tough to Ace. The Obj 277 I read recently is the most-played CW tank. Possible they have their ammo loads set for CW (all gold).

I don't pay attention myself, but sometimes I've felt the higher wn8 players, who in theory would use the least amount of gold, shoot it quite a bit. Also some well-known streamers don't seem shy with gold either.

Hate the game, not the player. I had some kind gentleman PM me after a match the other day for shooting gold at him. I was like, "Man, you're right, I only have 98 million credits left, I should be more careful!"

I have found for the last year or more that I get hit by gold rounds from the majority of tier X tanks I see regardless of the rank I'm in. I get regularly by gold while in my Skorp G with 0 armor...

I'm personally very interested in the changes coming to the gold rounds. I'm curious how many people will continue to sling them when they cost more and they do less dmg than the standard rounds. I think it may have a decent impact on ammo load outs in the future.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I carry a much higher gold loadout at Tier X because its an end of the line tank.  I'f im playing Tier X its either for CW, Advances, or for fun.  I'm not grinding anymore.  So i would overall, shoot more gold at Tier X.  

I carry a much higher gold loadout at Tier X because its an end of the line tank.  I'f im playing Tier X its either for CW, Advances, or for fun.  I'm not grinding anymore.  So i would overall, shoot more gold at Tier X.  
I certainly carry a lot more gold at tiers VIII, IX & X then lower tiers, depending on the regular round pen for each tank... The 110 I carry about 75% gold because the AP is terrible.

But I'll switch between ammo types a lot during a match depending on what tank I'm facing. Sure, I'll have a gold round in the chamber from time to time that gets fired at a Skorp G because reloading wasn't efficient at the time. But I won't exclusively load gold, nor will I continue to fire gold rounds at low armor targets if I still have extra AP or HE left in reserve...

It's the people that only fire the gold rounds at every tank that annoy me. When I get hit by 3 HEAT rounds from a 140 while driving my Skorp G, I know that person likely loads almost exclusively gold and those people aren't great for the game. They end up with higher WN8's them they should have because they don't care to learn weak spots... They just fire gold at everything because it pens most of the time.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

The player doesn't make the game worse, the player uses a perfectly legit strategy to increase their wn8. I'm not aware of a trophy or badge for learning weak spots.

Yes, it's legit. But it discourages new players. And gets others that have skill angry/upset/frustrated. People spend hours learning to use a tanks armor properly... Learning to use strategies like angling and being hull down and people just tap the 2 key and can override all the skill and knowledge. It's a big enough problem that they are rebalancing it.

The WN8 score and winrate beside their name is their badge... Sure, not everyone sees it or cares, but people intentionally farm those scores because to them it is their badge...

I’d prefer they keep the premium ammo in its current form. The ammo changes that have been tested are drastic and the history of WoT and WG has not given me confidence they can carry out a drastic change.

Premium ammo is part of the game. It’s a tool and you should use it as you see fit (and I’d fire plenty of it at an IS-M without hesitation or remorse). If someone wants to fire all prem then that is their prerogative. I didn’t load it for their tanks but I took out @Golfcrazy and @Hepiusyesterday with prem rounds. Between DHO it’s a sign of respect 🙂