Sign in to follow this  
Aftrthought051

Aftrthought051: Dad in the Spotlight Mar. 14th-18th

Tuesday-Tell us about your family

Alright.  So I was stationed in Okinawa which is a very lonely place for a single male.  There are only around 20 military women that you will come into contact with.  The ugly chicks from high school are suddenly the prom queens.  :lol  Best way I heard it explained.  I love Japan, but the women situation sucks.  The internet was just becoming widespread.  Thanks Al Gore.  :lol  I swear, I lived in chat rooms back then, trying to meet chicks, setting up stuff for when I got home.  I met a girl in Canada, Deanna, that was awesome.  We probably ended up talking for over a year between 6 months in Oki and 6 months when I got to Lejeune, but we never met and the long distance just didn't work.  We had a big fight and broke up.  It was probably just temporary, as it always was when we fight, but I went home on Christmas leave back to Louisiana.  I was determined to try to meet some women.  The bars sucked, and I ended up one night scouring the Yahoo personal ads.  Saw an ad for a girl in Bogalusa, which is about 2 hrs away from me, and says she is just looking for male friends.  OK, I can do that.  I message her, but come to find out she is away visiting her sister about 6 hrs away.  That's cool, I'm a nice guy.  I get her phone number and I give her a call once I'm back in NC, and she is back home.  Remember, no cell phones back then.  Well they are, but they are pretty pricey, but finally a decent size.

We talk just about every night for about 2 hrs or so.  She is a manager at Popeye's, so our schedules are pretty similar.  I still remember one time I called for her, and her sister who was around 17, we were both 21, told me that she wasn't home, so we talked for about 2 hours.  Well, Shelly found out and was PISSED at me.  We had a pretty good argument.  It's not like I could tell her sister was lying and she was home.  Which is what turned out happening.  I'm not sure if her sister stole men from her, but she was not happy with me, but I was able to reason with her that it wasn't my fault, and she got the hint.  So anyway, I wrote her letters and emails.  I eventually got down to LA when we had a 96 (a four day weekend) for Martin Luther King's Day.  We had a blast.  We made the most of that weekend and she of coursed cried when I left.  I was sad as well.  Saw her again when I came home in February for another 96.  We continued to talk, and somehow we got on the discussion of marriage and eloping.  We were pretty set because we didn't want to hear what our parents had to tell us about making a bad decision and getting married after knowing each other for only 2 months.  Well, my wife just couldn't get married without telling her mom, so she did.  Her mom couldn't be happier.  She had loved me when we met and had no problems.  My mom, no problems with it either.  She loved Shelly.  She loves her more than me now.  So how about that.  Another marksmanship competition in Eastern Division Matches in March and I knew I would medal.  Looking back, that's pretty damn cocky, but I had a reason to medal.  The championship was in California this time, so I knew I could take some leave, go to LA, get married, and then head out to CA for the Marine Corps Championship.

Not only did I medal with the pistol, but I got a medal with the rifle as well.  My only one to date, but unfortunately that was my last real chance to get a medal too as I went to the pistol team and we shot pistols only.  So I go home for a week.  Spend time with Shelly, get everything set, and get married at my grandma's house.  My Aunt cooked the cake.  My grandma cooked the food, and my childhood friend, Scott, was my best man.  Small ceremony.  We were married, and the next day I flew out to CA.  Left my car for her and she turned in her car as my note was $180 and hers was $430.  So here I am in CA, newly married, and trying to set everything up for my wife.  I'm sending her money, and she is driving out to NC to set up our apartment and everything.  I get back from CA and she has everything set up.  We clear out my barracks room.  Then we drive back to LA, get a Uhaul truck, and take the rest of our belongings from my house and hers to NC.  We didn't have much.  I remember having a TV on the floor, and no table either.  We would eat dinner on the floor, and catch one channel on our TV.  The only thing we could catch was the evening game shows like SuperMarket Sweep.  :lmao2  So funny, but we got it to work.  Well, next thing you know, my new wife is pregnant.  Yup.  Pretty much within that first week I'm back from CA, she's pregnant.  So married in March '00, and in Feb '01, I'm holding my son, Tristan.  Born on Valentine's Day.  What a feeling.  We had started our family.  I remember going to the hospital with my wife because she said it was time, and it wasn't.  Did that about 3 or 4 times.  Then, I'm teaching a class for intra-murals competition.  I'm in front of around 100 Marines, when one of my Marines comes up to me, and tells me I gotta go.  My wife is in the hospital right now and I'm about to have a son.  He takes over my class and I jump in my car and head out.  Later that day my son is born.  It was a Thursday, and I was back to work on Monday, keeping intra-murals running.  They had even messed up the test they gave them on Friday.  I couldn't miss any more days.

I got my orders to Quantico VA, and we move there that August '01.  I decided to leave the Marine Corps.  Moving every 3 years and being deployed for a year at a time was not something I really wanted to subject my wife and family too.  Not to mention, hello 9/11.  I knew I would be going to war.  I never had a problem with that, but now I had a reason to come home.  I had a wife and son depending on me.  Well, I knew I was getting out in Sept. '03 and Shelly was set on having another kid.  Someone for Tristan to play with.  Before we were married, we had talked about having 2-3 kids.  Well, after having Tristan, I was ready to stop.  He needed a lot of attention and all, so I was good with one, but she wanted another one, maybe a little girl.  And we knew it was best to have another kid before getting out.  So for $25, we had our daughter born in VA on June 19th, 2003.  Two days before my wife's birthday, and just three months before I got out of the Marine Corps.  Didn't see my daughter's birth.  I was out in Arkansas competing, and my daughter was born while I was not home.  So that kinda sucked, but hey, that's one of the reasons why I got out.

And there's my family.  My wife and I have been together for 11 years this year, my son Tristan, 10, and my daughter, Natalie, 7.

Great story buddy.  I can relate with getting married and then having a child.  My daughter was born a year after we got married.  Anyway, great story and sounds like you have a very supportive wife, which every man like us needs.

Yeah, forgot to mention how other, young Marines would ask me, "how long did you know your wife before you got married?"

"Whoa there buddy.  No way.  You can't go by me.  I got lucky as hell and it would never work out that good for me again.  You can't go by me.  You need to move in together and see how compatible you are for at least a year."  All that from a guy who met his wife on the internet and got married 3 months later.  :lol