Sign in to follow this  
Nismo2016

Need More Fans? but where?

I don't think I have enough air flow (in or out) to keep my GPU cool and quiet. My case seems to have a little trouble exhausting the heat from the GPU. Playing WOT (in the garage) and a few other games tend heat things up and the fans get a little noisy, not distracting, but I know I can do better.

So the story - I have an older case Cooler Master Elite 335.  I have both a front and rear case 120mm fans, Hyper 212 cooler for the chip, and a RX580. Can't use the side mount because of the 212.

So my options would be:

A) Play with the fans speeds to increase the case fans. I did notice the case fans rarely run at above a minimal speed. I used to run the ASUS AI Suite with Fan Xpert, but it didn't help. Looking at a new fan program or popping into the bios to set the speeds.
B) Use the old side fan and mount to the outside where the lower rectangular vent is on the side.
C) Mount the old side fan and mount behind the 5" bays on the front. The lower 3 bays on my case is all open and clear.
D) DIY and Mod the case for a top mount. Granted this is a top mount PSU case.

Image result for cooler master elite 335

Diy the hell out of that case

I did that with an old antec 200 and adding fans front and back will help your temps a lot. Also a good clean and termal paste on your gpu may* help too.

35 minutes ago, happyfunball said:

Obvious did-you-try-rebooting question: Did you clean out your GPU of dust?

Yes dear, even hosed it out.... 

47 minutes ago, Nismo2016 said:

Yes dear, even hosed it out.... 

TMI.

I do find that the dust in my house is sticky (yeah yeah, keep your snark to yourself). Even though I blow it out with air, occasionally I need to go in there with something harder, like a toothpick, to really scrape the fins out because over time a layer of residue builds up on them.

Ended up uninstalling ASUS AI Suite (FanXpert) because it doesn't recognize the case fans properly. Then added a side exhaust fan in the square/rectangular vent on the lower side near the GPU.

GPU fans don't seem to kick on as high or as often. So for now problem pretty much solved, at least in the interim.

Using Speed fan I can adjust the case fans all at once. Since they are 3-pin and no 4-pin I believe/read that individual adjustability is limited.  I just lower the speed about 20% when I don't plan on being on the pc, then up it a bit when I know I'll be playing.