Sign in to follow this  
ncpinz

Experience with Wheeled Vehicles

So with the latest version, we now have wheeled vehicles.  It starts after the ELC with 32-33k experience required.  I wanted to start this thread for folks to comment on their experience playing and killing them.

• AMD-178B (Tier VI)
    • I got done with this one after a few days of playing.  I did burn some gold to free exp out of it.  Overall it is ok but not great.
    • Upgrades - I only did the wheels, mid-gun, turret, and engine.  The top gun is not worth it in my opinion so save your exp.
    • Equipment - I ran vents, camo net, and optics.
    • I ran it like an active scout and ok with it.  Not great but ok.  I usually died too early.  Make sure you put enough HE ammo in and I usually selected it as my first round then adjusted from there.  The HE has 75mm of pen, so it can hit hard given the right target.
  • EBR Hotchkiss (Tier VII)
    • Upgrades - Probably only getting wheels, mid-gun, and engines with the last only because the Tier VIII is off the engines.
    • Equipment - Still running vents, camo net, and optics.  Not sure if I want to swap to a gun rammer or not.
    • I like this one much better than the AMD, especially with the mid-gun.  It is quicker and has a lower profile than the AMD.

For any of these, you can do some pretty spectacular aerobatics.  In the AMD, I did a complete barrel roll, landed on my wheels and kept driving.

I'm only on the tier 6 and am shocked at how much I like it. I did get the turret and top gun because I figured it would take me a while to XP through it. 

Ok, I opened my wallet and free XPed all the way to the EBR 105.  Fun as hell.  I need to study up on the funny new autoaim.  It does not always work.  This may depend on being in 3rd person mode, and on whether enough of the opponent is showing.

• You have to try and survive.  The endgame is where you shine.
  • All my games in the AMX 13 57 GF helped my fast tank assassination skills
  • I should have played on the test server.  Jumping to the 10 is "the deep end".  Seems like the unicums all know exactly what to do already.  (well, duh.  Unicums.)

I started at the tier 6 Panhard. So far, reasonably good, but not a keeper. The key seems to be mastering how to drive it, especially in reverse. The reverse speed combined with the depression let's you do some nasty peekaboom.

16 hours ago, ncpinz said:

So with the latest version, we now have wheeled vehicles.  It starts after the ELC with 32-33k experience required.  I wanted to start this thread for folks to comment on their experience playing and killing them.

• AMD-178B (Tier VI)
    • I got done with this one after a few days of playing.  I did burn some gold to free exp out of it.  Overall it is ok but not great.
    • Upgrades - I only did the wheels, mid-gun, turret, and engine.  The top gun is not worth it in my opinion so save your exp.
    • Equipment - I ran vents, camo net, and optics.
    • I ran it like an active scout and ok with it.  Not great but ok.  I usually died too early.  Make sure you put enough HE ammo in and I usually selected it as my first round then adjusted from there.  The HE has 75mm of pen, so it can hit hard given the right target.
  • EBR Hotchkiss (Tier VII)
    • Upgrades - Probably only getting wheels, mid-gun, and engines with the last only because the Tier VIII is off the engines.
    • Equipment - Still running vents, camo net, and optics.  Not sure if I want to swap to a gun rammer or not.
    • I like this one much better than the AMD, especially with the mid-gun.  It is quicker and has a lower profile than the AMD.

For any of these, you can do some pretty spectacular aerobatics.  In the AMD, I did a complete barrel roll, landed on my wheels and kept driving.

With the "active" scouting this requires, I've skipped the camo net. I'm running Vents, Rammer and Optics. Vents adds to the view range and the camo rating slightly as this thing needs it. As a bonus, it's also more accurate and reloads faster.

I unlocked everything on the AMD with Free XP. I haven't had terrible games in it, but I've lost way too often. Bad luck with MM for the first 7 matches put me at 1/7. It was the 7th match that I finally won a match. I'd like to get this thing to 50% and then be done with it. I used one of the missions that awarded the 30k XP last night to speed up my grind in it. It's barely fast enough to complete with some of the other tier VI LT's and the tier VIII LT's it sees out class it by a long shot. In a tier VIII match, active scouting in it is extremely risky as your HP pool is too low and you're usually spotted long before you spot something. It doesn't have a great camo rating.

My biggest issue with learning the tank so far is forgetting to use reverse rather than turning around. This one issue has been the cause of at least half of my deaths. 

Good point about driving in reverse.  Frequently you need to escape by driving in reverse for some distance to get out of trouble.  The inability to turn around in place takes time to get used to.

I played a couple in the tier 6. It was fun but confusing. Decided I'd wait for the wheelie mania to die down a bit before continuing. 

I was tempted to jump to the tier 8 but thought that might be overwhelming. I think it will be better to learn in the 6 and 7 first. 

3 hours ago, gpc_4 said:

I played a couple in the tier 6. It was fun but confusing. Decided I'd wait for the wheelie mania to die down a bit before continuing. 

I was tempted to jump to the tier 8 but thought that might be overwhelming. I think it will be better to learn in the 6 and 7 first. 

For sure! There were quite a few per battle on day one. I'm only seeing most teams with 1 per tier now. I think they scared some people off with their learning curve. Playing on the Test server I saw teams with 7 or so on each side. 14 EBR 105's was a crazy, but fun, mess. And that's when we could still drive 105 km/h!

4 hours ago, gpc_4 said:

The number per tier has dropped off.  At most you'll see two like yourself but sometimes it is just you.  I'm enjoying the challenge of learning a new type of vehicle.  I needed something fresh.

As far the reversing thing... I have been thinking “imagine a really fast turretless td”...haven’t fully gotten the hang of it... but that mindset seemed to help some. I have used it as an active scout very sparingly for reasons described above. The good games I have had involved a ton of flexing/running away. HE is your friend in this as previously mentioned... 

^panhard