bigmike64w

SSD input wanted

ASUS z270 TUF Mark 1 MOBO
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
i5-7600k cpu
EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ gpu
1200 watt BFG psu
240GB HyperX Savage SSD

Thats my current build.  I am looking at SSDs to replace my HyperX and am debating between these:
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E1T0B-AM/dp/B078DPCY3T/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1549350349&sr=1-1&keywords=860+evo

WD Black m.2 nvme 500GB
https://www.amazon.com/Black-500GB-High-Performance-NVMe-PCIe/dp/B07BR9FV1C/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1549350404&sr=1-1&keywords=wd+black+nvme

Samsung 970 EVO m.2 500GB
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-500GB-MZ-V7E500BW/dp/B07BN4NJ2J/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1549350453&sr=1-1&keywords=970+evo

I know my board can run them all, I just want to know is the nvme ssds really that bad@$$ or would i not really notice much when it comes to gaming.  I know the storage on the 860evo is a real head turner for me atm, but I do want this build to last me quite a while.  (Yes, I know my video card is older and needs to be updated)

I run 2 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB. I really like them.

I've heard mixed reviews on how much better the M.2's are for their value. I haven't looked into them in a while, so I'm not sure how they are doing today. I do recall a lot of people having issues booting from them back when they were coming out. I'm sure most of those issues have been fixed since then.

Is this drive going to be a boot drive?

860s are one of the most reliable ssd on the market and you cant have too mch space with the newer game so id go with the 1st choice.

As for the gpu...as long as it plays to game you want i dont see a problem a 970 is a good card.

Unless you're going to be doing heavy read/write operations, such as running a database or a data center, I don't think NVMe/m.2 is worth the cost. I don't think you're going to notice much difference in a typical home PC unless you're just after the benchmark e-peen.

Is this drive going to be a boot drive?

Yes, it will be the boot drive. I will repurpose my hyperx to either another device or as a select game drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go with the 860 as well.  $150 for a 1TB SSD is a really good price.

I run a Samsung 850 Pro at work, and I wish I had (without the coin) one at home.  The Intel SSD I have is garbage, and has been steadily dropping according to HDD Sentinel. I bought a cheap ADATA to hold me over until I do a new build.  If I were spending the money I'd go with a Samsung or Crucial.  I'd only bother with m.2/nvme if the price was close/comparable to SATA.