Sign in to follow this  
SGrant7

Update 0.8.0

3 hours ago, Granitebeard said:

Sold my nonpremium CVs... And honestly have been playing less since this patch...

Been playing less CVs or less WoWS?

Less WoWs. The games play of most of the players changed with the last patch. I am sure as fewer people play CVs, people will return to "normal" game play, but this last patch was a dozy for my mind set in the game.

I paid no attention in the lead up to the CV changes. Really hated it initially. Watched some vids on AA focus and how the plane squadrons work which made the game bearable. Still not happy with the change. Chasing down and destroying a final CV used to be so simple. Now it’s a constant dodging mini-game. Torp squadrons being able to make multiple passes is especially annoying. 

At first I disliked the changes...  Between what I was seeing with playing both CV's and non-CV's, there were a lot of inconsistency.  Now that I kinda sat down and MADE myself play this weekend I'm actually starting to let it grow on me.  Things I'm learning--- My Lexington was a PIG at first... was lucky if I could get an attack off... then I upgraded the planes... and WOW what a difference... had a 100k damage game my next time out... and that was a tier X fight.   CV-wise I learned that #1- pick out lone targets... you can go after someone in a group but be prepared that once you make the initial run you'll probably lose your squadron to AA...  #2- As much as the "F" key is being bemoaned as an "escape trick" for CV's, it's a needed one.  If I make a run and suddenly realize I over committed, then I can "F" key out and hopefully save part of my squadron to return for the next flight... yes, the "no damage after F keying out" is a little OP... but I don't want WG to nerf it completely.  Maybe a deal like the old fighter squadron disengage type deal... you can disengage at any time but if you still have weapons to drop then you automatically use "X %" of your remaining squadron... so if I go in with 9 and only do one attack with 3 planes then I'll lose 50% of the squadron for disengaging... because for as long as the reload is on squadrons if you lose a whole squadron in can be a LONG time to replenish it and able to attack at full strength again.  If the AA wasn't so damn powerful, especially AFTER a run, which is when I seem to get the crap smacked out of me, then I'd be a little more forgiving... but the catch is that if you get a BB player and manage to catch the side of the ship that isn't AA concentrated, then you'll fly into it on the way out and get blitzed.  #3- You can really dodge the long range AA "bursts"... just be smart about it.  AA shields have gaps you can maneuver through... you just have to find them... and some AA layouts barely have gaps (US AA cruisers).  Honestly, the one and only thing I would change is to have CV NON attacking planes in a flight to pull away from the danger zone and wait outside it... then get rid of the "F" return key as an option...  the problem is that if you fly into an attack, you drag the entire squadron with you.... and I don't like that.  I'm learning to like the CV play as I mess with it more...

For non-CV play there is a new dynamic that has come into play that I absolutely love... TEAMWORK.  If you run a flank by yourself, you'll get singled out by a CV and blitzed... but run with a group and the combined AA can really make it a pain in the butt for attacking CV's.  I had a Ryujo game last night that had 2 BB's and an Atlanta sitting together... the best I could do against that group was a high speed pass with rocket fighters... anything else and I was done before I got a shot off... all because they teamed up together.   CV's attacking a grouped set of ships will get pounded.   I just can't remember how often you'd see a BB or CA run off down a flank by itself and be a total loss to the team as it was totally out of position... now they'll get punished for lone-wolfing it.  

I know DD's are really complaining... and I can see their gameplay is a lot more difficult now... spend a lot of time dodging the initial rocket attacks, but it seems as games get farther along CV's start working TB's and DB's against bigger targets and DD's get left alone... plus AA on DD's is still pretty nasty and you can't hover over a DD to light it without getting the crap knocked out of you by short range AA... and once the attack is over, the planes go away... and spotting range is pretty tight now for DD's from the air... on more than one occasion I've been too late to start an attack run by the time I spot a DD...  

There are fixes to be made, for sure, but I think as this starts to calm down you'll see the old meta come back... there will be a select group of really good CV players running around at tiers 8 and 10, a ton of CV try hards at lower tiers, and for the most part you'll get a non-CV game... it may be a little more common in seeing CV's, but I think once the "polish" has rubbed off it will die down close to what it was.  

Maybe my biggest beef is those who are complaining about how good CV's are after the re-work....  honestly I challenge those people to play at least 30 games, 15 in tier 6 and 15 in tier 8 and find out how hard it really is when up-tiered to be effective.  I would guess that CV players are seeing 1 out 4 games where they are doing over 50K damage and being overly effective in a match... the other games the opposing team is too bunched up or too high tier AA to be overly effective against.   

My thing with AA is I can't seem to dodge the flank. Just as I go in I get a wall of it (yes I know that was the point) and down go 3+ planes from range with the rest being yellow/red. Maybe I am just really bad at the new play style but it is not for me or balanced in my opinion.

Jingles did a vid and claims a hot fix is coming out to balance it per WoWS on Reddit.  I can't find anything though.  Fix seems like a CV nerf by removing the "F" key abuse and moving more D/T for short and mid range AA including possibly killing planes off.  You really need to watch the vid as it shows how to abuse CV play... especially the tier X Jap CV which they are calling a "flying Shimikaze" due to the fact you can spam torps out of AA range.  Ichase shows that abuse to full effect in his vid... 

Problem is I don't buy the whole "AA isn't working" BS... It has it's quirks and there are fixes to be made, but they need to keep the nerf bat small this time around or they'll kill off CV's again. 

Reddit PSA by Octavian: 

Ah yes ONE ship is broken so lets screw all the others. While they are at it they should add a 30 second fuel timer so if it runs out the planes crash and take longer to reload...