Sign in to follow this  
ThatRandomJanitor

Taxes- How do you file?

How do you file your taxes?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. How do you file your taxes?

• CPA/Local
    • Large Firm/Franchise (H&R, Jackson-Hewitt, Liberty, etc.)
    • Online/self
    • VITA

35 minutes ago, ThatRandomJanitor said:

Not gonna lie I am deeply wondering how these sites provide "free" efile.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samanthasharf/2016/02/08/you-call-that-free-what-turbotax-and-the-free-file-alliance-cost-one-millennial/

TL;DR version: IRS threatened to create their own free filing, so the tax software companies got together and agreed to file for free as long as you qualify. Of course, free doesn't always mean free.

Exactly. Got a feeling a lot of private information (address, phone number, income, etc.) probably get sold to 3rd party vendors for advertising. Heck at JH privacy and bank statements take up more paper than the actual 1040s (both state and fed). 

On 2/12/2019 at 10:37 PM, ThatRandomJanitor said:

Exactly. Got a feeling a lot of private information (address, phone number, income, etc.) probably get sold to 3rd party vendors for advertising. Heck at JH privacy and bank statements take up more paper than the actual 1040s (both state and fed). 

Meh... I'd be very surprised if any of the more sensitive information was sold off. Word of that would have gotten out long before now. As for things like address and phone number? Pfft.. that stuff is out there from 40 gazillion other sources already (google, amazon, anyone?).

When I switched to HR's system years ago I never noticed (and I pay attention to these things) any sort of uptick in advertising/spam coming my way.