Sign in to follow this  
ThatRandomJanitor

Taxes- How do you file?

How do you file your taxes?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. How do you file your taxes?

• CPA/Local
    • Large Firm/Franchise (H&R, Jackson-Hewitt, Liberty, etc.)
    • Online/self
    • VITA

I often get halfway through Turbo Tax and then there is something funny with stock or something and so I've gone to someone the last couple years.

I was planning on doing TurboTax this year. Nothing out of the ordinary last year so hopefully I can figure it all out.

Got some funny message about my HSA I've got to figure out right now though....

Yeah, back in the days when I had more stock stuff to worry about, I'd go to a tax accountant (a real CPA). But once my taxes became simple, she told us "you're back to TurboTax level now. I'm more than happy to take your money, but you should probably save a few bucks and just do it yourself." So nowadays we're TurboTaxing it. 😁

I had be using Turbotax for quite a few years until about 6 years ago I tried it with both Turbotax and HR Block's online software.... HR Block actually got me more of a refund (around $70 or more if I recall), so I've been using HR Block since then.

2 hours ago, RHunter said:

I had be using Turbotax for quite a few years until about 6 years ago I tried it with both Turbotax and HR Block's online software.... HR Block actually got me more of a refund (around $70 or more if I recall), so I've been using HR Block since then.

Exactly why I started going to a professional (and then become a professional). Free ain't free, odds are if you wanted the credits and deductions you would of paid up.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:57 AM, ThatRandomJanitor said:

Exactly why I started going to a professional (and then become a professional). Free ain't free, odds are if you wanted the credits and deductions you would of paid up.

HR Block IS free... Turbotax I had to pay for the software, Both of them I have to pay to file one of the two (state or fed), can't recall which.

Our taxes aren't complex enough to need to pay someone to prepare them for me.

I used CK last year, and ran the numbers against TurboTax.  CK does what TT does for free.  May not work for everyone, but a free long form is nice.  Even with a family discount I was paying almost 200 bucks a year to file at the Block (The discounts she gave me kept dropping each year as she had to split her discount between multiple family members).  Happily going back to CK this year.