Sign in to follow this  
Bombaybacon

Ethernet Through the Power Outlet

If I ever get to a point in my life where I can afford to build my own house, it will be built with Cat 6 (or whatever the best thing is at that time) running to every room in the house.

OP I ran this system in my home some time ago and it worked well. My internet arrived at my home at one end, where my office was at the other end of the house. Basically the connection goes through the power system of your house - uses the wires as a conduit to the modem/router.

HOWEVER: This was about 6-8 years ago and I have upgraded my internet connection twice since then - back then I had ADSL2+ so technology may have changed. They did warn that on some homes - (especially bigger homes) if there are more than one electrical wiring circuit the system may simply not work as the PC/Xbox etc needs to be on the same circuit as the plugs - if that makes sense.

2 hours ago, stewiejp said:

They did warn that on some homes - (especially bigger homes) if there are more than one electrical wiring circuit the system may simply not work as the PC/Xbox etc needs to be on the same circuit as the plugs - if that makes sense.

This is definitely important to pay attention to and why I have to have 2 separate sets of adapters to route my connections to in my house (one upstairs and one down).

18 hours ago, xJediDadx said:

I know Mesh is expensive. But it can cover a huge house with 2 or 3 of the broadcast points.  Plus the one's I've been looking at have 2 ethernet ports on them so i can plug things into those and it acts like it's wired to a router/switch.

I actually have the LUMA Mesh and it works well. Our house is more square (2 floors) than rectangular, so we get good coverage. My wife has even managed to ignore the node sitting on the kitchen counter. Prices have comedown about half from i got mine ~2 years ago.

I should be getting the new powerline adapter today, but I have to work tonight so I won't be home until at least 11:00. I'm sure he'll be awake and wondering what's in the box.

haha

I'll be patiently awaiting his and your thoughts on it.

I got a 1gb pair for my house so my wife could work from home in another room. Her work-provided system is a desktop so I needed a wired connection. I could have put wireless on the system but its dodgy in that part of the house.

They worked fine however her vpn was dropping. I soon noticed there was a power-saving "feature" which put them in standby when there was no network traffic. I contacted the company and they sent me a file to run to shut that off. its supposed to help conserve power when the network line is not in use.

After that it has run fine for a year. Its a 1gb pair of units, but my speedtest revealed about 50mb. That's ok, it works. 50mb is plenty for her work.

43 minutes ago, Velakos said:

I got a 1gb pair for my house so my wife could work from home in another room. Her work-provided system is a desktop so I needed a wired connection. I could have put wireless on the system but its dodgy in that part of the house.

They worked fine however her vpn was dropping. I soon noticed there was a power-saving "feature" which put them in standby when there was no network traffic. I contacted the company and they sent me a file to run to shut that off. its supposed to help conserve power when the network line is not in use.

After that it has run fine for a year. Its a 1gb pair of units, but my speedtest revealed about 50mb. That's ok, it works. 50mb is plenty for her work.

I've seen a few reviews about the power saving feature causing issues.

it might be ok for game console use as traffic would be going through all the time except when not in use. It might even help save some power as the console would probably be off for many hours at a time.

"THIS IS AWESOME!" - my son

It took about 10 minutes to set up from opening the Amazon box. Put it in the wall. Connect to the router (Luma). Plug the other one in. Hit pair. Hit pair on the other one. Connect it to the Xbox. Done.

There was a warning about the devices being on the same circuit, but I guess that wasn't an issue for my house.

He said it is so much faster and smoother.

Now he won't be complaining about the lag. His teammates on the other hand....

There are 2 ports on the device too, so I think i'm going to plug the TV into it too.