Bombaybacon

Frontline Returns!

Episode 2 is over tonight. How is your FL progress?

I'm staying a bit ahead of the curve with 2.20 after Episode 2.

GRygbQbh.png

2.18. It's a lot slower progress then the first time, and I burn out on it after 2 or 3 hours, which ends up being 6 to 9 games. But the credit, xp, and crew xp is worth it. 

10 hours ago, The_Dad said:

1.27... took too many days off for RL I guess

Much the same. I'm at 1.14ish. My wife and I just finished our TV marathon of GoT though, so I should be back in the drivers seat a little more next episode.

The tiers come so fast in the first half of a Prestige but become real grind for the second half. Still averaging Major most battles.

Last night I had 4 matches:
General & Supreme Gun (loss/defence) ~12K combined damage
Captain (victory/attack)
Captain (loss/defence)
General & Supreme Gun (victory/attack) ~ 17K combined damage

Personally I find getting through the ranks easier on defence as getting cap defense points isn't too hard. Getting cap points is harder. If you're team caps too quickly and you don't make it into the cap soon enough, you get very little points or none. If you get destroyed in the cap and your cap points get wiped out, you get no rank progress either.

If you're attacking a zone that has too many people defending cap, you just get farmed for defence points and damage. If you move into a zone with too many attackers, you can't get enough points. Shooting the objectives doesn't award you with rank progress either. So, you're stuck farming as much damage as possible.

If you're defending, as long as tanks keep driving into the cap and you have a good line of sight on them, you can farm them for cap points and rank up quickly. This is where a tank like the LT-432 shines. I might not get a ton of damage, but with the great camo rating, I can stay hidden for many of my shots while farming tanks and keeping them lit for my team.

What are people's thoughts on saving your recon planes until people are popping smoke in a cap while defending? Or saving your artillery/bombing for the cap? Do people use them as soon as they are available? I tend to use mine right away as I never know how much longer I'll live. It also starts the count down sooner to getting another one. My mind set is take the damage while you can get it.

One other thing... not specifically related to FL, but does factor into to your rank progress. When you damage wheels on a WV, there is no assistance damage. Normally, if you track a tank, you would get all the assistance points. Damaging the wheels on a tank should provide at least some bonus when someone else causes them damage afterwards. Maybe causing damage to one wheel awards you 25% assisted damage, 2 wheels gets you 50%, 3 wheels gets you 75% and 4 wheels gets you 100%.

I always load into FL in the Defender, and go straight to cap, regardless of attacking or defending. 50% of the time I rank up 1 or 2 ranks pretty quickly. I've kept engineering on most of my FL tanks as it speeds up capping and resets. After the defender I'll go with something fast like the LT-432 on attack or the Skorp G on defense. On attack I use the map to see where the defenders are light and go straight to the next cap. Again, it's a 50-50 crap shoot, but when it works you rank up quick.

Just an FYI, Episode 3 starts on April 15th in case you're wondering.

4 minutes ago, Ziggy_Dog said:

I always load into FL in the Defender, and go straight to cap, regardless of attacking or defending. 50% of the time I rank up 1 or 2 ranks pretty quickly. I've kept engineering on most of my FL tanks as it speeds up capping and resets. After the defender I'll go with something fast like the LT-432 on attack or the Skorp G on defense. On attack I use the map to see where the defenders are light and go straight to the next cap. Again, it's a 50-50 crap shoot, but when it works you rank up quick.

I worked on crew training this episode so I made some weird tank choices. However, generally start with a HT; I did use Defender a few times but usually went with Caern AX. I think the Caern is good because you get the high RoF and pen. More shots, more resets. After the initial tank, mostly meds for the flexibility. Once I have 3 fully boosted FL consumables, I’d go HT first and then mostly LTs because they are fun (EBR and 432 in Episode 2). 

I start every match in the LT-432. Providing I don't get in too far over my head, that tank will last me most of the match. It provides fantastic spotting, great mobility and a high rate of fire. The tank is nearly invisible when not firing to any tank +300m away. Running the Camo directives that I've been earning through FL helps boost the Camo even higher (+40%). As long as you watch your distances and know your enemies view ranges, you can keep yourself invisible even when firing without cover.

The LT-432 is great on defence, but certainly can play a great role on attack by lighting up the defenders. I generally end up between 4K & 6K spotting while running it. Plus it gets the bonus slots for Combat Reserves allowing me to add artillery and recon to my loadout with engineering. The recon give some extra spotting and the artillery adds some extra damage and possible assistance from tracking.

I missed a couple days, but managed to get to Prestige 2 over the weekend.   The LT-432 has become my go to tank as well.  I'm usually going LT-432 =>  M41 90 GF  and then T-44-100 or Progetto if needed.  Most of the games I'm really only using 2 tanks.  I actually had a game where I managed to use only 1 tank the entire time; the LT-432.