Sign in to follow this  
ThatRandomJanitor

Struts

Rear struts on my 1998 are becoming unbearable. Anyone ever use cheapo Monroes off Rockauto or have any suggestions? Needless to say with it being a 98' nearing 250,000 miles wanting to go cheap but decent.

My father in lawn and I use Rock Auto whenever we can. Haven't had issues yet on anything I have gotten from them. but I usually go 1 level about the economy class to be safe. usually those brand in the mid tiers are the makers of the OEM parts.  Still a lot cheaper than a store or other outlets.

Same here I learned about them from my dad (an ex mechanic). I've heard mixed things on the preassemled struts. Just wanting something quick and easy although if I did go the long route and get a compressor I could live with it. Just don't feel like dealing with a spring bomb in the garage.

Bit of an overdue update on this...

I was able to replace my driver's side strut. The old one came out in three pieces and needless to say is the majority of why my rear end was so damn bad. As for the passenger side the new ones seemed to be fixed and I was unable to align it with the holes in the body and it also had some differences that raised some red flags. New one should arrive today or tomorrow.

But wait there is more (bad) news!

There are two brake line brackets that have to be removed. The lines on this appear to be bone stock and rusty. Well on the passenger side the little bit of movement caused a line break on the passenger side. With my WC and issues in my right arm I didn't have to miss with it. Being New Years Day only one big brand garage was open so I had it towed. Day after NYD they called and said they broke their only flairing tool. Two days later and keep getting excuses and being told "it will be done today".  If the work ain't done today by 4:30 having my wife go with a tow truck and having it towed out to a local shop.

On the big upside just from my little drive to driveway waiting for a tow it seemed to be a lot better. Firm if you press that might lead to some roughness on the road but we shall see.

**edit**

Got my traveling device back yesterday. I can tell only one side has been replaced but it a hell of a lot better. I plan on replacing other side Friday (I bargained for a day off). Bit firm but doubt its settled completely. Off hand I'd say if you want to cheap out on an older vehicle Monroe Road-matics maybe the way to go.