Sign in to follow this  
xtc4

PSA: Christmas Ornament Strategy

Here's a piece of advice from that WOT forums that makes sense to me. I wish I had heard it earlier:

"Save as many of your ornaments/decorations as you can and then smash them for level V ornaments.  When you have done that enough, to collect most, if not all the Level V ornaments, you should be able to get to Festive X.  Once that is done, you collect and smash for specific ornaments on the decorations list, working your way from the top on down.

"Reasoning was this:  The chance of you getting level V decorations in free crates during play is MARGINAL (I can attest to this, though I did just get 2 level IV ornaments a bit ago in the free small crates, so anything IS possible).  Thus, if you work the higher tier ornaments and decorations, you'll probably get most of the Level I, II and III bits along the way."

In short, on whatever collection you are targeting, craft from level 5 down.

Any other advice out there?

That’s what I’ve been doing. 

This may have existed last year but I didn’t notice it. From your collection book, select the decoration you want to craft. This will take you to the crafter thing all setup for that decoration; style, tier, and type of decoration. (Please tell me this is new or I’m going to feel really dumb). 

Most importantly, the best thing to do is not craft too many decorations until the last couple days. There is no need to craft decorations that you will possibly get randomly out of the reward boxes. If you have bought boxes, your festive level will be quite high which in turn means your bonuses will be decent. 

The next piece of advice I have, is when crafting, try to use as many random variables as possible. For example: If you need a lot of level 3 decorations for every collection, set the crafting machine to only level 3 and leave all the other variables at "random". This will cost you far fewer shards to craft and you'll slowly build up all the collections without breaking the bank. When you're getting close and start seeing multiple duplicates from crafting, it's time to zero in on the ones you need to finish a collection. Again, all crafting should wait until later in the event when you've collected as many random decorations as possible.

Remember, try not to craft any until the end of the event. You may think you have a lot of shards, but they disappear really fast when you're crafting. Especially when you're trying to craft specific decorations.

15 minutes ago, gpc_4 said:

That’s what I’ve been doing. 

This may have existed last year but I didn’t notice it. From your collection book, select the decoration you want to craft. This will take you to the crafter thing all setup for that decoration; style, tier, and type of decoration. (Please tell me this is new or I’m going to feel really dumb). 

I believe that is new... They made a few "life improvement" changes this year.

Just now, SGrant7 said:

I believe that is new... They made a few "life improvement" changes this year.

Thank goodness. 

1 minute ago, SGrant7 said:

Most importantly, the best thing to do is not craft any decorations until the last couple days. There is no need to craft decorations that you will possibly get randomly out of the reward boxes.

The next piece of advice I have, is when crafting, try to use as many random variables as possible. For example: If you need a lot of level 3 decorations for every collection, set the crafting machine to only level 3 and leave all the other variables at "random". This will cost you far fewer shards to craft and you'll slowly build up all the collections without breaking the bank. When you're getting close and start seeing multiple duplicates from crafting, it's time to zero in on the ones you need to finish a collection. Again, all crafting should wait until later in the event when you've collected as many random decorations as possible.

Remember, try not to craft any until the end of the event. You may think you have a lot of shards, but they disappear really fast when you're crafting. Especially when you're trying to craft specific decorations.

I’d say craft away. Get your bonuses up. 

4 minutes ago, gpc_4 said:

I’d say craft away. Get your bonuses up. 

Ya... the bonuses are good. Though, if you've bought a bunch of boxes and your festive level is at 10, you're already getting a decent bonus in most categories. But if you want to get the full amount early on, you will need to craft. The only risk is burning through all your shards and not being able to complete a collection later if you're hoping to get all the Christmas styles.

I crafted to complete the Christmas one that I nearly completed through the boxes I bought. I've crafted a few others randomly, like the level 3 example I used above. Other than that, I'm holding off on crafting too many due to shards getting consumed too fast.

2 hours ago, xtc4 said:

Here's a piece of advice from that WOT forums that makes sense to me. I wish I had heard it earlier:

"Save as many of your ornaments/decorations as you can and then smash them for level V ornaments.  When you have done that enough, to collect most, if not all the Level V ornaments, you should be able to get to Festive X.  Once that is done, you collect and smash for specific ornaments on the decorations list, working your way from the top on down.

"Reasoning was this:  The chance of you getting level V decorations in free crates during play is MARGINAL (I can attest to this, though I did just get 2 level IV ornaments a bit ago in the free small crates, so anything IS possible).  Thus, if you work the higher tier ornaments and decorations, you'll probably get most of the Level I, II and III bits along the way."

In short, on whatever collection you are targeting, craft from level 5 down.

Any other advice out there?

If you are just going for the multipliers that being 50% crew , free , combat xp and credits . I would advise to craft ornaments from.tier 1 to 5 why? You only need 62 of 80 in each book to receive the full benefits . So don't waste your shards on crafting level 5s as you only need one or two of them . BUT worth mentioning if you do want the styles you must collect all of the ornaments .