Hey guys, was at a friend's house the other day playing some of the Jackbox games (really fun!) and he was talking about how he was using a Steam Link to stream/cast his pc to his tv (they're across the house from each other) and one of his other friends mentioned that his Walmart store was selling them for a couple bucks. Got the wife and I talking that some way to stream/cast from my pc to our tv would be nice, as we have some of the Jackbox bundles, as well. Long story short, my wife and I haven't been able to find any on Walmart's online store or in-store... and their price keeps skyrocketing on Amazon. We looked at Chromecast, but I've heard it's really not that good for streaming your games like that. So I started looking at maybe Raspberry Pi as a solution.

I think I found what looks like a viable way to do it (installing a program called Parsec on the pi and on my pc). The only problem is that the wife would like to be able to use it to cast from our phones to the tv, as well. On top of that, I figured I may as well go for broke and see if I can set it up to stream YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Twitch, etc while I'm at it, if I can. Unfortunately, from my brief attempts to look up how to do so tonight it seems like each of the different devices/services to stream may be made possible by taking different paths which may not be compatible with each other.

Is that the case? Am I just tired after work and misunderstanding stuff? Or do any of you guys know a way to set it up to allow me to stream from my pc, cast from my phone, and use the streaming services (the streaming services are the least important - I can do the streaming through Comcast and/or my ps4 if I have to)? I'd much rather spend about the money to set up a raspberry pi to do a bunch of crap, be able to customize what it does, and do it well then to spend the same on a Chromecast that may not be a great solution for what I want to do.

IIRC (and I'm no expert), when I built my retropie, I looked into making an SD for streaming (dual purpose), but everything I looked into seemed confusing, and most people said the pi wasn't really the best for such things.  It could be done, but there were better devices for the task.  I know they do Kodi and OSMC for the raspi, so that may be worth looking into.  I'd really be interested if someone has made this work, and whether or not they are happy with it as a streaming device.

I got to thinking after I posted this that if worse came to worse I could always just set up a few different SD cards and swap them out for what I want to do. Was hoping to do all that without that hassle though. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Kodi is probably your best bet for the "kitchen sink", since it has plenty of add-ons. IIRC there are add-ons for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and so on. I believe it also has a plugin to receive casting from other devices too.

I've never set it up personally, but my brother set it up for my mom, and my mom is not tech savvy. But she can watch Netflix as well as cast from her ipad.