So what are people thoughts on the subs?

I for one understand that they are just a event ploy (at least for now), but find them to be very odd. Against bots they are super easy to use and diving beyond attack/periscope/snorkel depth is really not needed unless you are about to get rammed or torpedoed. Individual tube launching is nice, reload on the Zipper sub is too long for only two tubes (at least for the event). Rear arc torps are nice but again, on what is in the game not the greatest.

If they were to put these in the game I feel like the balance would be off. Perhaps the event ships are just a touch too fast while under water, which makes seeing them in the normal game as being too strong. If all of them had longer reloads then perhaps it would be more fair. Also making effective counters would be important.

I find them fun but I'm not sure how to implement them in gameplay.   Their historical speeds are way to slow.  21 on surface, 9 submerged.

Lets say they are all snorkel equipped and can run a 21 knots at periscope depth.  I would guess you would have to give them around a 2-3km detection range.  Once they are spotted they would essentially be dead.  I'm not sure how to escape a DD w/ depth charges at 9 knots submerged.  The only thing I could imagine is make them immune to radar but detectable by hydro.  DD's without hydro would have to essentially pair up with a cruiser that has it.

Unless you would station them even closer to combat than the DD's I don't see them viable.  Maybe allow them air at periscope but limit speed to 3/4 vs surface at full.

On 11/4/2018 at 1:00 PM, bockie said:

I find them fun but I'm not sure how to implement them in gameplay.   Their historical speeds are way to slow.  21 on surface, 9 submerged.

Lets say they are all snorkel equipped and can run a 21 knots at periscope depth.  I would guess you would have to give them around a 2-3km detection range.  Once they are spotted they would essentially be dead.  I'm not sure how to escape a DD w/ depth charges at 9 knots submerged.  The only thing I could imagine is make them immune to radar but detectable by hydro.  DD's without hydro would have to essentially pair up with a cruiser that has it.

Interesting. Rotten beginning player, so take this with a grain of salt.  Maybe the play is to use the surface speed, low visibility, and screening islands to get close to the middle. Then submerge once you get to the middle.

If there are no islands to screen your approach? I don't know. Maybe you are relagated to being a last-ditch ambush.

Just meh. Played twice and got 5 stars. No desire to play the mode again. 

The killer whale was fun.  I solo'd rasputin in it.  156k dmg in just a few seconds.

The 40k to earn it was a little tedious though...

Yep, got it last night and it was by far the strongest sub. Again, as they are in this event, I do not see them incorporating into the normal game well. I probably won't play them again.