Sign in to follow this  
gpc_4

Map Discussion 1.0 Redux: Malinovka

25 minutes ago, ncpinz said:

Grant, after this one let's do the new map that was introduced.  I'm sure others like myself would like to know how to play it well.

We need to develop opinions and strategies for them before discussion. Also, the 3 newest maps aren't on Stratsketch yet.

Curious if anyone has something new on this one. It still seems like the default should be heavies to the hill... if in a top tier med I still like “setting the hill” for the heavies first... east spawn is a little better for that. But don’t forget to bail (most of the time). Field play is mostly useless most of the time other than the light tank field thing first. Tds can kinda sorta farm in field... but it rarely really matters. The aggro spotting push d6/e7 still seems to be useful, albeit picking your timing matters (right away with no knowledge if there is a light in the bush is no bueno). 

Nothing new here. There are aggressive bushes for lights at H2ish, F5ish, and D7ish. The standard strat, as always, seems to be to win the hill and then don't immediately push further; instead, the winners of the hill set up to snipe while a spotter goes forward, perhaps on the E7, D6 water route. Or the winners can flex back if base is in trouble.

The only problem with the hill, and I usually go if in a heavy or am top tier in a med, is arty. If there is only 1 arty it's not too bad, but in higher tier matches with 3 arty, the hill is a wasteland.

There is only so much room at the windmill if you can get there. That being said, I've had some of my best games up there. (And some of my worst.) 

5 hours ago, xtc4 said:

Nothing new here. There are aggressive bushes for lights at H2ish, F5ish, and D7ish. The standard strat, as always, seems to be to win the hill and then don't immediately push further; instead, the winners of the hill set up to snipe while a spotter goes forward, perhaps on the E7, D6 water route. Or the winners can flex back if base is in trouble.

Agree with you here XTC.  If I'm not in a fast heavy, this map gets very boring.  Random games progress into major camp fests.  I've been grinding support mediums lately (Czech and Italian) and this map  does not lend itself to aggressive play. The only exception being the high risk early game 1 line push, that requires team coordination to be successful. Not going to depend on that in Random battles. So, win hill, spot and snipe.  Pretty much sums this one up for me.

This map is getting pretty bad. Reminds me of how Swamp developed into a terrible campfest and then the map was removed.