Sign in to follow this  
Canuckeh

Exercise, What am I doing wrong?

I had no idea my slower metabolism would lead to such poor weight loss.  At least, that is all I can think of to explain the lack of weight loss I am experiencing.  The last time I really worked out was 25 years ago, and it seemed much easier then.  I always worked out every other day.  Didn't really do any dieting.  And I was successful after a couple of months.  Fast forward to March 2015.  I joined a club, started working out every other day and dropped from 260 lbs to 245 lbs three years later.  I took some breaks due to pain, but I kept it up.  March 2018 I joined a new club, lost a couple more lbs.  In June I was told of this fasting process where you fast for 16-18 hours, then eat during the 6-8 hour window.  Basically I skipped breakfast and stopped snacking.  This is the first time I consciously "dieted".  Weight loss continued, I dropped to 232 lbs.  The only time I don't exercise is once a month during my day shifts of 3 days in a row and another set of  5 days in a row.  I just can not motivate myself to get to the gym during day shifts.  Afternoons and off days, I am fine for every other day.  I am 57 years old.  My workout consists of stretching, arms (3 sets of 10 reps curls, 3 sets of 10 pull down for triceps) or legs (Squat walk, three machines of 3 sets of 10) then the treadmill for 24 minutes.  Total time spent in gym is about an hour.  I retire in a month, so I will be able to spend more time in the gym.  Do I really have to go every day to see real results?  

Guest Nickali28

Aging is not kind.  It gets harder with each passing year.

As for "working out".  You don't need to work out daily, but you need an active lifestyle, even on non workout days.

Getting more bang for your buck out of your groceries...you know that fancy term:  Nutrient Dense.  Yeah, it's a real deal.  Intermittent fasting has shown really good results.  If it works for you then kudos.

I'd shoot for 3 workout days each week.  When you workout, you want max muscle use to fatigue.  Whatever that may be for you.  Get as many muscle groups involved as you can.  Do a couple sets to muscle failure and call it good.  This should build a small amount of muscle and help that metabolism boost.  Metabolism really only revs up with an increase of muscle.  If you are doing sets and you are not at a heavy enough weight to have muscle failure at the end of 8-10 reps, move up in weight.  

Another thing, get plenty of water.  If you hate water, try and try again until you find a flavoring you like.  Cut down on sugar if  you can swing it.  If you don't mind water alone, chug it.

Keep moving, go for a walk, but don't stroll, walk briskly, not like you are in a race, but like you are going somewhere, even if it is in a circle.  

13 hours ago, Nickali28 said:

Aging is not kind.  It gets harder with each passing year.

As for "working out".  You don't need to work out daily, but you need an active lifestyle, even on non workout days.

Getting more bang for your buck out of your groceries...you know that fancy term:  Nutrient Dense.  Yeah, it's a real deal.  Intermittent fasting has shown really good results.  If it works for you then kudos.

I'd shoot for 3 workout days each week.  When you workout, you want max muscle use to fatigue.  Whatever that may be for you.  Get as many muscle groups involved as you can.  Do a couple sets to muscle failure and call it good.  This should build a small amount of muscle and help that metabolism boost.  Metabolism really only revs up with an increase of muscle.  If you are doing sets and you are not at a heavy enough weight to have muscle failure at the end of 8-10 reps, move up in weight.  

Another thing, get plenty of water.  If you hate water, try and try again until you find a flavoring you like.  Cut down on sugar if  you can swing it.  If you don't mind water alone, chug it.

Keep moving, go for a walk, but don't stroll, walk briskly, not like you are in a race, but like you are going somewhere, even if it is in a circle.  

What he said.  

In many ways its basic math: more calories in than needed = weight gain.  fewer calories than needed = weight loss.  Exercise is important even if no weight loss is seen, but the most important (and hardest) part is nutrition.  It is a literal lifestyle change.  I love my coffee - but my creamer adds 25-40 calories per cup (depending on flavor & amount).  If I drink 3 cups (@ 8 oz per cup - that's my single 24 oz morning coffee & my average per day) that's equal to a can of soda! If I really wanted to stack on the loss I would cut out my creamer, but I balance my lifestyle choices. If I don't have creamer I don't enjoy my coffee. If I don't enjoy my coffee no one enjoys me!  lol  Instead I focus on making food at home, eating veggies (carrots & celery are my go-to) as snacks - I never drink soda, rarely drink juice, and I limit my beer to a much more conservative amount.... which helps the wallet and the waist! But these are lifestyle choices.  Not drinking one beer is "equal" to 30-45 mins on the treadmill (calorie basis) which I think makes not drinking the beer easier than committing the extra treadmill time.  So that's another perspective.

While I haven't yet reached you life level (age) I know that I have to keep on top of it as everyone says it becomes more difficult the older you get.  But no one says it is impossible! And I think that's the final take away; its never too late to start, so keep it up.  You have lost 30lbs (or more!) and that's amazing.   You are heading in the right direction, so congrats to you on all the hard work paying off.  

Excellent feedback, thanks guys.  Fortunately I hate Coffee and Beer, so its easy to avoid these calorie boosters.  I do like my Cider, but I usually have about 2-3 a week.  That is about the only alcohol I consume.  It helped my Dad was an alcoholic and I refused to get caught up in that destructive cycle.  I love my Diet Coke, but have really reduced that since I started fasting.  I have a sweet tooth, so I do consume too much chocolate and other sweets, although I do try to limit that.  I agree, even the off days I need to keep active.  That has really been my downfall.  Sitting at the computer or lying down watching TV has really caught up to me.   It would probably be best to get a Trainer at the gym to ensure I am maximizing my work outs.  Yes, I do drink a lot of water, especially during my fasting hours.  The best results of my weight loss so far is my wife says I don't snore any more.  Happy Wife, Happy Life!

3 hours ago, Canuckeh said:

The best results of my weight loss so far is my wife says I don't snore any more.  Happy Wife, Happy Life!

That alone should push more of us to lose weight!  Weight gain can lead to sleep apnea - it's huge problem with US veterans (for both weight & due to exposures/injuries during service) and is a true pain in the bum... not to mention potentially deadly!

Canuckeh

You may also get some more burn for you time by making a few tweaks to your Gym routine that could help and mix it up. The tweaks to your diet are heading you in the right direction. And getting more and better sleep will help.  If you restless try Magnesium and or melatonin, I've found a good green tea in the evening has been helping me to sleep better.

Try doing your Cardio first - brisk walking, stair master, slow jog.   If you can, slowly work towards intervals of walking and a slow jog. Doing this first will get the heart rate up and warm you up for the weights, which can then keep the HR up - thus taking keeping it up for an hour rather than just 24 mintues of your normal cardio.  

Now for the weights - other than the squats on the machine (I assume Hack Sqauts - standing squat machine) you are  doing a lot smaller muscle groups. You will get more burn and shape up by doing the "good ole" big lifts. At any age they are good to do. More Muscle = More calrioe burn as well. Also reduce you rest time between sets and between exercise to save time and keep the HR up - even if you have to lower the amount of weight to keep up. 30 seconds between sets, 1-2 minutes between exercises- TOPS.

Squats - keep this up and do them early in the week to boost your testosterone for the week. Deadlift - even starting small as far as weights, you use your whole body and mainly large muscle groups. Remember the bigger the group the more calories needed. Then pick you favorites -  Bench, Over head Press (military Press), Lat Pull Downs and Rows. These classics work your big muscle groups, but also hit your smaller ones. Throw in some little stuff here and there if you have time. But dont' worry if you dont

I too only workout for 1 hr - 20-30 minutes of cardio followed by weights. I do one of the big lifts first then some auxiliary.

Example today - Treadmill jog @ 1% incline, Deadlifts total of 4 sets increasing (5 reps per set), Lat Pull Down 3x10, Row 3x10, Shrugs 3x10, Reverse Fly 3x10, Curls 3x10. That's it. Notice I hit the big ones first and end with some auxiliary. I have no goals other than to stay functional, but time is a crunch so I have to get the best bang for my time.

Leg day is squats and shoulders with Military presses as the other big lift. Chest day is Bench Press (either Flat, Decline or Incline) and Dips, then auxiliary exercises.