Aftrthought051

Duolingo - learn a second language

I've used this app for a week now and I feel like I've made some great strides in learning German. For the record, I only know English. Took two years of Spanish in high school, but I feel like I already know more German in a week. They only ask for 10 minutes a day, or up to 30. I just now scrolled the languages and saw they even have Klingon. Haha. If it is easier to learn more languages after you take on a second one, I would certainly love to speak Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, and Vietnamese. I'll see how this works. You can visit the website, or download it on your phone with the app. Duolingo. Check it out. I feel like I'm using my phone for something better now than just playing Marvel Strike Force and Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes. 

https://www.duolingo.com/

Guest Nickali28

That's awesome!  Definitely let us know how it goes.  Immersion is always the best at learning a language.  Mind adapts the more you are forced to.  

I would pick up Spanish as a 2nd language first as I'm around an area where there is a lot of Spanish speaking folks.  Not sure after that.  So many that seem interesting albeit nearly useless in daily life.

My daughter and I have been using Duolingo to learn Japanese and my son is using it to help with his German classes at school.  The only complaint I have with it so far is that the Japanese voice can be a bit clipped and you don't always hear the full pronunciation, but otherwise it's pretty fun.

I live in Europe full time (I am an USA citizen) and I use duolingo a lot.  I practice spanish (i took 4 semesters in highschool) now, and use to practice german (until a few months ago when I left Germany).  My results are that I can READ quite well - but speaking... you need to have actual conversations to get that to click.  It works fine for simple inquiries or interactions; ordering food, buying a ticket, registering at a hotel (travel related stuff) but I find that as soon as the conversation goes freeform (actual generic conversation) I get lost without the context of an event (ex. ordering food)

Still, I recommend it as it is free (always nice), it does help you learn a language (though not all parts of it), and I support learning in all forms!