Happy Fathers Day! ×
Sign in to follow this  
Hapa_Fodder

Buying a home

The realtor advice is huge.  Interview them, figure out who gets you and make sure they aren't the ones selling the house.  

Get opinions.  Talk to the neighbours.  Last house I purchased I banged on doors (without the realtor) and talked to the neighbours to get a feel for the area, crime etc.  Usually helpful and they'll tell ya the things the realtor wont.

If it is 40 years old, definitely bring in an engineer. That $200 could save you thousands if you wind up with foundation issues that you didn't know about when you bought it. We got bit by that when we sold our previous house, in fact. Had to shell out $3k to shore up the foundation before we could sell. 

I'm a bit late to this... Lots of good advice for finding/choosing a home so far here already.

Once you find a home and you're writing up the offer, just remember that *everything* is negotiable. Especially on a house that's been on the market for 3 months in the current market. (houses that are appropriately priced usually don't last more than two - three weeks on the market in the current seller's market)

If your inspection finds out the roof could stand to be replaced, write that into your offer. Carpets are crap? Write that into your offer. Anything and everything is up for negotiation when writing your offer. I hear of friends all the time who don't realize that when buying their first house. It can save you tons of bucks at purchase time.

So I went and looked at the home, and I love it!  It was remodeled and has the countertops, tile and hard wood floors, all that, that I want. I asked why it had been on the market for so long (125) days and she said she thinks its a smaller house only 2 bedrooms, most people in Beaumont are looking for 3 or more bedrooms, the laundry is in a separate building, pretty much an insulated shed by the car port.  This isn't so much a big deal to me, HOWEVER, A: it's just me and B: My plan is to have a garage/shop added on.  Then I asked about an engineer inspection and they had one done in Aug.  I got the report and it showed that there is some sagging in the foundation, this is very normal for SE TX homes due to the soil and amount of rain.  So I have an appointment with a contractor that has been doing foundation repairs for 80 yrs here in SETX to quote how much repairs for the foundation or shoring it up would be.  After I have that estimate I plan on making an offer on the house for about 75K, we'll see....  they are asking 90 for it.  But My plan is to see if I can get it for 75K, then add a garage/shop/laundry room and have the foundation shored up, all this should up the value of the home in the long run.  This is an investment property for me, live in it for about 5 years and sell.  Hopefully make some money.  We'll see!

Appreciate all the advice!

So I had a contractor look at the house to check how much it is to shore up the foundation.  Turns out I picked the top three contractors nationally by chance... but the one i am going with wants $16K to shore it up, they have the longest lasting and most reliable method for foundation repair.  Being Texas has a clay soil base foundation sag is very common, especially for a 45 yr old house.  Anyways, I am going through the pre-approval process and hoping to place an offer on the house of only $75k, they are asking for $90k but if I am having to repair the foundation, screw that... Plus I want to have another contractor build a garage/workshop/laundry room off the side of the house... so yeah...  Supposedly someone else put an offer on the house on Friday.... we'll see....  as of right now, this is the ONLY house locally that has everything I want with minimal work required... so if I don't get this house, not sure what I'm gonna do... bleh

Oh my god!  I have got to get a home in the States.  Even if it's just a winter residence.  We bought our place in 1997 for $150k.  With additions we have put on it and housing price increases over the years, its worth $800k now.  Just have to convince the wife Trump is not so bad.  :)  

If you make as much as you plan on off that house, $650k in Canadian converted to USD is like what $3.50 American, maybe 5 bucks?  LOL, seriously though...  There are A LOT of area's in the US that are really cheap.  Here in Texas, if you spent $400k, you'd get a pretty big house with land!

As for Trump, EVERY and ANY government is bad...  mind your own, take care of you and yours and stop having mental breakdowns that the antichrist is this leader or that, and life is good....