Sign in to follow this  
ThatRandomJanitor

HP Battery Issues

Original issue with old battery: died @ 20% w/o warning and after a few days no charge

Diagnosis steps taken: tried two known good AC adapters to charge battery, didn't work. Laptop ran fine w/ just AC.

New battery is Genuine HP, numbers are not exact match but it is the same product. Ordered off Ebay (dun dun dun)

New battery runs the laptop fine but says unknown time remaining (no AC) and battery not detected (w/ AC). I've done a BIOS update and uninstall/reinstall of AC adopter and battery software. Any suggestions?

My best guess would be "ebay battery" + the # being off.  You might be able to get a 3rd party battery program off the internet.

Not much else I can think off.  If it works, it works,  my old laptop just ran off the AC 24/7. I was tired of replacing batteries.

my wifes laptop did this - it acts as a desktop now as it wasn't worth trying to fix the issue all things considered.  What model/year of laptop are we talking?

Every time I scanned for a battery I would get an error and the computer restarts.

I've considered a hard reset but don't want to risk it doing online classes at this time. Might be an option if I order a laptop with my next refund.