Sign in to follow this  
Nismo2016

Professional Mentor at Work

So my direct supervisor has asked me to find a mentor within our organization, but outside of our department (of 2). I understand his rationale on learning and development front and I have maybe two people in mind that could help me grow professionally.

First issue - there maybe only two people with the proper experience/background who would be worth while. While there may be a few other I want to avoid any potential political issue. I also want to pick someone who will be able to help me develop professionally. And sadly there are very, very few hear with the professional maturity that could actually help.

The second issue is going to one of the options to ask and explain what will go on. My DirSup was a bit vague (as usual) but I think I know what to do.

Looking for any input and experiences.

Guest Nickali28

So, you are to pick and ask the person to mentor you?  Or you are just selecting someone and your Direct Sup is to make it happen?

55 minutes ago, Nickali28 said:

So, you are to pick and ask the person to mentor you?  Or you are just selecting someone and your Direct Sup is to make it happen?

I have to pick and ask....he hasn't been around long enough to figure out what/who is best. I have a #1 choice in mind and reasons why not any other available option.

Sadly our org is so small and so many people don't have the right type of experience that would be beneficial to me. At least as I see it.

Guest Nickali28

Yeah, that's a tough call.  Only thing I find weird is you are the one also having to ask the mentor to be your mentor.  That's not your place.  Neither is selecting one, but I can swallow that part.

I'd just be honest with dir sup about it, if it were me.  Say this is the only qualified person here to mentor me for growth, etc.  There should be some communication between your direct and the mentor to be though before you talk to them...that's just sticky.....

I think he wants do it for a few reasons:

1) it could benefit me

2) It show cases something we could do as far of leadership development and succession planning

3) he may lack a bit in that area

Now if I do get this to work it'll make me look good for taking that step. something that no one around here has ever done. and for our department to becomethe role models gives us a huge credit boost.

Alternatively, you can coach it as wanting to learn something specific, wanting to learn X. Then you can propose a few people who's doing X. That way you don't have to find a general mentor and avoid the political issues. For example: Want to learn about the hiring process, therefore mentor with someone from HR. That will also let you have the flexibility to move to different mentors for different tasks.

I get what your saying,  the knowledge would be helpful.  We actually used to have something akin to an internal "internship" where you would spend time in another department to learn how the other half lived. We have tried to revive it, but no takers on either end.

The CEO is an option, but may raise eyebrows, he would prob be open to it.

First choice is the relatively new Director of Finance. He worked here in the past but left to work at some start up banks in NJ, he has that professional background that I would like to learn from.

Next is the Current VP of IT, she is great at project management although not formally certified, she has been here a very long time and has no problem telling you the truth.

Those are my top option at the moment. There are some possibility in the retail operations side, but the 4 options are like the mean girls club and it could get a little messy.

I plan to run these by my DS first, if we were a bigger org with more "professionals"  it would be a bit easier.

A good mentor helps you not by being an expert I a field, but by helping you learn more about yourself and guiding you in an organization.
As a career and benefits consultant, I work with many clients who particular career is alien to me... I do a little research to know the basics of what it is, but I am look g more at problem solving skills, communication skills, identifying opportunities and positioning clients to take advantage of those skills and opportunities.
If you can get someone that is a step or two above your current level of "responsibility" as this will help give you insight to either : What do supervision/leadership in this company look for and/or what do I need to do to become suoervison/leadership?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk