Sign in to follow this  
ThatRandomJanitor

Vocation Time

Been with current company for over two years now. One thing that has kept me there is how they calculate vocation time. Instead of set amount of hours or days off (because our work schedule varies) we get x% off of hours worked per week. I gotta say I like it if a person works plenty of OT you can easily have 3 weeks off. These hours also roll over year to year.  We also have the option to withdraw when ever we would like to.

So how does your company give time off?

Mine is just a standard 80 hours (2 weeks), and after 10 years, you get 120 hours (3 weeks) along with 80 hours (2 weeks) of sick time.

So we get 2 weeks off in your first year, 3 weeks at 3 years, 4 weeks at 10 years.

We also get the first 1-2 weeks of July off due to automotive plant's summer shutdown and a week at Christmas.

Yeah, the US really shafts its employees on PTO (paid time off).

I get 10 days of vacation and 5 floating holidays (though Thanksgiving day and Christmas day are locked in every year).  I believe it goes to 15 vacation days at 5 (?) years, and eventually up to 20 days after... awhile... maybe the 10 year mark.

But aside from Thanksgiving and Christmas days, we're open the other 363 days a year (and can be on call at any point if things break).

By contrast, our employees in Bangalore, India seem to have a national holiday with pay every other week.  Unsurprisingly, it causes a bit of friction between the two campuses every now and then.

I've interviewed for a few jobs that are pretty much the old standard. Thought for a moment my company was on the cutting edge of vocation time with others following dreadfully not true.

As for converting to Hinduism don't think I ever could.

I work at a Hospital, so we are open 365 days, Management staff has 6 paid holidays. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Labor day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, and New Year's Day.  All other staff have 1.5x pay on those 6 holidays if they are working that shift.  

You earn 3 weeks (120 hrs) at a percent rate for the first 5 years, then your percent rate goes up allowing you to earn 4 weeks (160 hrs) , then at 15 years, you get a percent bump again allowing you to earn 5 weeks (200) hrs off.   You can accumulate up to a max of 360 hrs ETO.

So, if you work overtime you are going to be earning a bit more than the standard time off.  

Management starts a week ahead of the rate earning.  So, 4 weeks, then 5 weeks, then 6 weeks of ETO earning possible.  Management is all salary so the earning is flat, no OT to help bump up the ETO earning any more than it already is above other staff.  

If I am not mistaken, at the top management rate, you essentially could take 1 day off every 2 weeks and still have an hour of ETO earned. ( I am in management and next July would be 15 years, so I could essentially take 26 days off and not deplete my ETO any. I would end up 2 hours ahead at year end.)

It used to be 4,5,6, and 5,6,7 weeks potential earnings, but they cut the rate down when we went through some hard times.  They didn't bring the rates back, but we recently got a bump from a 240 hour cap to the new 360 hour cap.

You can cash out 2 times a year.

You can use your ETO at any point.

Any time away from work will draw from your ETO.  There is no separation of Sick or Vacation time.  It is all the same.  

You may take a day off without pay if approved by your Supervisor.

Wow, that was hard to digest, lol! BUT like Nickali, I work at a hospital, and have over 15 years, sooooo............

5 weeks (25 days) + sick time (which I never use, 5 days at least?) + holidays = I get a lot of time off 😉

(ETO = PTO "paid time off" for us. Yes, vacation + sick + holidays is all one pool. Used to be able to cash some at Christmas, think they did away with that last year. Nice setup though, plus health care benefits if you work in health care are usually pretty good? They are for me.)

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, Killer Avocado said:

Yeah, the US really shafts its employees on PTO (paid time off).

I get 10 days of vacation and 5 floating holidays (though Thanksgiving day and Christmas day are locked in every year).  I believe it goes to 15 vacation days at 5 (?) years, and eventually up to 20 days after... awhile... maybe the 10 year mark.

But aside from Thanksgiving and Christmas days, we're open the other 363 days a year (and can be on call at any point if things break).

By contrast, our employees in Bangalore, India seem to have a national holiday with pay every other week.  Unsurprisingly, it causes a bit of friction between the two campuses every now and then.

The US is really bad about vacation time.  There are some countries doing really good things, but there are some that do even worse.  It's really very odd how Holidays are here.  There are so many that are Federally recognized, but different areas shut down for them or stay open instead.  I know the schools in my area observe MLK Day at school, but they are open.  However, 2 counties away all the school systems shut down for MLK Day.

There is no mandate, or requirement.  I guess that is just the difference in Government though.  Freedom to be as generous or as stingy as you want.

13 minutes ago, Mykk said:

Wow, that was hard to digest, lol! BUT like Nickali, I work at a hospital, and have over 15 years, sooooo............

5 weeks (25 days) + sick time (which I never use, 5 days at least?) + holidays = I get a lot of time off 😉

(ETO = PTO "paid time off" for us. Yes, vacation + sick + holidays is all one pool. Used to be able to cash some at Christmas, think they did away with that last year. Nice setup though, plus health care benefits if you work in health care are usually pretty good? They are for me.)

Yeah, I kept typing and typing and realized, this is a complicated earnings system.

We have good health care.  It's particularly excellent if you use our in house facilities.  Deductible ( 25% discount if you pay full), then covers 100% of cost.  In network at other facilities drops down to the 80% cost coverage after deductible.

I dig the cash out.  If I'm bumping the cap mark, which is 360 now, I'll cash out 80 and maybe do it again another time.  It's limited to *near* your workiversary date and any other time according to accountings discretion of course.

I'm at 31 ( next year would be 37) days off at this point, should I choose to take them.  I normally don't, maybe I take vacation, maybe I don't.  I do sneak off with the wife and kids when they go out of town to the dentist though.  I'm not needed, but yeah, I'd never take days off otherwise.