Sign in to follow this  
Diremouse

Thinking of getting a new desk top

My advice " build you're own" you can choose parts according to your needs and budget. Not to mention it's pretty fun and interesting. if it's you're first build it will take probably a day.on you.tube there is a few good step by step tutorials which I followed . Also there's a good website where you can digitally build you're desktop and it gives you a price total etc finding you the best prices around. It also advises you on a suitable power source based on what parts you have chosen . 

It may sound daunting at first but watch a few videos and it's no different than building with Lego blocks . You'll be able to build something to you're requirements on a budget . It's what I did and to this day it's still running . 

Yes the choices are overwhelming and I've found there really isn't a truly "bad choice"

I would start with the question or two- "What do you need it for?" and "what is your budget?"

general purpose, causal gaming, active gaming,  or over the top, overclocking, multiple screens in 4k gaming...

I consider my self a casual gamer. I've probably spent about 400-500 total over on my rig. I usually sell my old parts when (so I may have spent like $700 but recouped 150+).  And the case and Power Supply are the only things that were "free" at this point (was a hand-me down tower).

To save money I like AMD chips and Mother boards and Graphics as then tend to be cheaper, perform just as well as Intel and Nividia, may run a little warmer and use a little more power, but I don't bother over clocking so it doesn't bother me. .

I usually shop for sales or e-bay.

3 hours ago, Nismo2016 said:

Yes the choices are overwhelming and I've found there really isn't a truly "bad choice"

I would start with the question or two- "What do you need it for?" and "what is your budget?"

general purpose, causal gaming, active gaming,  or over the top, overclocking, multiple screens in 4k gaming...

I consider my self a casual gamer. I've probably spent about 400-500 total over on my rig. I usually sell my old parts when (so I may have spent like $700 but recouped 150+).  And the case and Power Supply are the only things that were "free" at this point (was a hand-me down tower).

To save money I like AMD chips and Mother boards and Graphics as then tend to be cheaper, perform just as well as Intel and Nividia, may run a little warmer and use a little more power, but I don't bother over clocking so it doesn't bother me. .

I usually shop for sales or e-bay.

Newegg is supposed to be pretty good over there for parts right ? I did the same thing I saved money by getting an AMD fx procceseor , and then spent most of my budget on a graphics card but Nvidia not Radeon . My build was no more than 400 pounds before the  operating system and it runs tanks on the highest settings pretty smoothly .  One good thing to look out for in terms of cases , look out for cases with a poop ton of fans as standard ! I think my case was around 35 pounds and it came with 4 fans , which saved me a lot or time and cash.

i built mine using parts  I researched here:  https://pcpartpicker.com/  it even has a compatibility feature that tells you what will run with what you selected.  Then it tells you the best price available for that part.

Yes Newegg usually has the best deals on the main components. I also get this like fans and coolers off of e-bay. Even Newegg has there stuff on e-bay.

I play tanks on ultra (but some effects off as they annoy me) and can run most new AAA (Doom Tomb Raider, FO4, Wolfenstien, etc) on at least high or sometimes ultra (1080p)  without much of an issue other than the occasional fan noise.  

I'll post my build as a reference, it is really nothing to be in awe about, but for what I need it works great.  .

AMD 4350 4-core 4.2ghz -  $67.90 (AMD website) now used to be about $100, I got it for about $75 over a year ago.

ASUS 970 Pro Gaming Aura MoBo (ddr3) paid under $100 on sale (hard to find now)

RAM -  Ripsaw DDR3 1333 I think. was about $60 for a pair of 8gb sticks (16gb total)

Redragon Rx 580 GPU was about $235 after rebate. (basically the equivalent to a GTX 1060)

750GB HDD (original) and a 480 GB SSD SanDisk was under $100.

Case fans from E-bay - Front and Rear 120mm and side 90mm like maybe $20

I have an old Master Cooler case, a CPU cooler and a 650w PSU -  from my Father in laws original PC he gifted me.

HP 21.5 ISP MONITOR (1080P) Its all I can fit right now and was on sale for $100 at the time. Gaming mouse and keyboard from Redragon as well Not top of the line but gets the job done for me ($60 total).

It really just shows you don't have to spend a bunch to get what you need for what you do. If you can salvage things out of an old pc you may have or pick up some gently used parts you can save some $ as well

If you go Newegg and is a little tentative on what parts to pick, check out their Full Build Bundles: https://www.newegg.com/Full-Build-Bundles/PromotionStore/ID-1359?name=Full-Build-Bundles. This way you get a little bit of discount for bundling, and these parts should be pre-screened to work together so you don't have to chase those down yourself.

Great tip on the pcpartpicker, no downside to exploring that.

I've bought a fair amount from Newegg, but I actually price-check against Amazon, and I feel bad for Newegg but Amazon wins a lot.

Building your own used to be a way to get a better PC for less money. Not too sure about the less money any more, for a while now I think that advantage is gone. You still get the satisfaction of knowing your parts are probably better. Having a zero-crapware installation of Win 10 on a new SSD drive is pretty priceless.

But if you find a good deal on a pre-built from a reliable source, no harm I think.