Sign in to follow this  
mrholsy

Type 5 Q&A

What are the mechanics of playing the Himmelsdorf alley?

1. From south do you play the left of right side of the road way?

2. Do you push early even without numbers? Or hang back and try and hold it.

I think pushing alone against several is a bad idea.  Your reload is too long to defend yourself effectively.  If they arent bailing, they arent afraid. But, if you have other heavies to push with, it can be a glorious thing

3 hours ago, mrholsy said:

How do you play Malinovka?

1. When there are 2+ arty

2. When the other team has Rus Meds, Super Conqs, Is7s, etc who will take the hill first.

1-Head for the hill and try not to get spotted until you are going up the hill, even if it means widening my path and delaying my arrival at the top.

2-This is just a fact of life for all super heavies (not just the instrument of skill and precision that is the type 5) you will always be the last one up the hill, the bonus to that is you will usually know whats up there before you get there. If the reds have overwhelming force up there I tend to stop in the trees at the bottom and make them pay for coming down. If I think i can turn the tide of the hill fight then I head up it. 

3 hours ago, mrholsy said:

What are the mechanics of playing the Himmelsdorf alley?

1. From south do you play the left of right side of the road way?

2. Do you push early even without numbers? Or hang back and try and hold it.

1- You should always go hill in the Type 5, duh! OK.OK, maybe not. If I am un-platooned or my platoon-mates are ill-equipped for the alley fight I would probably play the right side against the buildings unless the reds have some serious guns waiting then I will play the left side and side scrap.

2- If the reds have the numbers advantage AND those tanks are threats (there are a lot of 8s and 9s and even a few Xs who don't have much of a chance of hurting you seriously from the front) then I just hold the line. If I am seeing nothing but low pen guns at the other end (Krans, IS7s, most tier 8s) then I will push up even if they have numbers. I won't drive right into them and let myself be flanked, but I will definitely move the the next hard cover and shorten the range as long as I am not completely alone. If I am alone or I am pretty sure there are some big TDs at the other end then I just hold the line. 

On a side note, the Type 5 is arguably the best line holder in the game. There are few tanks that demand the kind of respect that it does when holding a bottleneck. It's more respected then even the deathstar in my opinion because the deathstar/sh!tbarn are only feared until they fire, but the reds know that unless they are fighting at virtually point blank they are going to take several shots of anything between 400-800+crits before they over run you and most won't do it. I can't count the number of times I have held back 3,4,5+ reds alone all because they don't want to take those hits. They know they are going to take damage if they push, there is not blocking it. 

If you are alone/last one standing (which is very often the case) holding the bottleneck and they decide to push, go for kills first, if you can't kill any of them shoot for tracks, if they are coming abreast shoot the ground between them and track/splash as many as you can. If they are just coming single file then track the lead tank and make the others wait or go around him. Do everything you can to keep them in front of you for as long as possible. 

Hope this helps...

From the north spawn on Malinovka, it is not out of the question to push along the southwest road. I'll pause if it looks like we will get a quick scout across the field. If that shows where the reds are (maybe giving us a couple quick kills), and if it looks like I'll have support, that's when I may just push on the southwest road, rather than taking forever to go hill.