Sign in to follow this  
ScHwErV

Smokin on the 4th

Full recipe here, so prepare for a lot.  Just after father's day, my wife and I got a Green Mountain Grill.  It's a pellet grill/smoker.  I had hours (weeks) of research into the different grills and this is the one I wanted.  I traveled all over to look at many grills, and this is the one that stuck.  I got it on Saturday, then went on vacation for a week starting that Tuesday, so I only had a chance to grill ham steaks and brats.  During vacation in St Louis, we went to a smoke house and it just got me wanting to get home to smoke something.  So I hatched a plan to do a big smoke fest on the 4th and invite family over.  Here is how it went down.

1pm - break venison out of the fridge.  Into a tote with Zesty Italian dressing.  I also used my injector to inject some zesty into the big tenderloin.

3:00pm - fire up the smoker.  Set to 200 and watch the smoke roll.

3:15pm - tenderloin goes on the smoke.  While it's smoking, prep mini-bella mushrooms and put into ziplock with some more zesty.

4:15pm - shrooms and pork steaks hit the smoker (Canadian steak seasoning only).  Still at 200, just letting it roll.  While that goes, make cornbread batter and put in pan.  Also slice up a couple onions.

5:15pm - everyone out of the pool.  All the meat and shrooms go inside.  Turn the grill up to 500 and let it get smoking hot.

5:30pm - cornbread goes on the grill, along with all the meat.  While that cooks (turning occasionally), into a pan goes butter, onions, and quartered shrooms fresh off the smoker.  To add more insanity, add some Founders All Day IPA (beer) to the shroom/onion combo.

6:00pm - Everyone off the grill.  Time to eat.

Somewhere along the way, the wife made some salady-type stuff.  The shrooms weren't the only one gifted with more Founders All Day IPA as I enjoyed a couple.  The tenderloin was the very best I've ever made.  You can see the smoke ring in the attached photo.  It was a little more done than I usually like, but it was the tastiest, juiciest, and most tender steak I've ever made.  The smoke in the shrooms was heavenly.  The cornbread was buttery and awesome.  I heard the pork was great, but there was venison, so I can't speak from experience.

Who else smoked on the 4th and what did ya have?

20180704_174624.jpg

20180704_180645.jpg

That was right after it went on, it browned up very nicely in the end.  The kids keep asking me when I'm going to make it again.