Sign in to follow this  
ThatRandomJanitor

Speech Disorder

Curious on this...

I have stuttering that comes and goes. Its gotten way better since getting out of my moms and away from the anxiety of that side of family. Tends to spike randomly when around new people (yet i don't feel anxious at all) but sometimes it doesn't and also on some phone calls. Any one else have same issue? I've stuttered most of my life, didn't start to gain actual control until my teen years.

My sister-in-law's husband has a serious stutter. He wasn't born with it, it seems to have been a result of some early childhood trauma. He's a great guy, I have no issues talking with him. I have to remind myself not to finish his sentences, which can be frustrating. He's actually okay, in my opinion, talking to him in person, and like you say, some of it is anxiety-based, so when I talk to him and we're talking sports, he's fine. But he has a hard time conducting business over a phone. Has to be rough. That's my only exposure to stuttering.

Mines the same way in a way. Depending on the day business on the phone maybe hard (can be a pain during tax season at my seasonal job) yet other times just fine. Even in high stress emergency situations my speech will be A1 because my mind is super focused.

My oldest son has stuttered since he was very young.  We took him to a couple of Speech Therapists and no improvement.  My youngest son stutters as well.  But I am convinced he stutters as a result of his brother.  The youngest is not nearly as bad as his brother, and now that he lives away from home, it has improved.  But still stutters at times.  We have a very relaxed environment at home, I am not aware of any pressures the boys may have to cause the anxiety.  My oldest is 23 now and has started to take anxiety medication.  It has caused other medical issues, but he can't stop taking the medication.  And he still stutters.  I don't like that he is taking anxiety medication, but if it calms him down so he does not stutter, then it will be for the best.