Sign in to follow this  
New Dad Gaming

Whiskey Recommendations

My preferred method of drinking liquor is to use a small glass maybe slightly bigger than a shot glass, put in one ice cube, and fill the liquor to the top of the cube. Given that, are there some that make more sense than others, or are they all equally good or bad if you're just drinking it straight over ice?

I always drink my single malt with two Ice cubes....Like my grandfather would say: "Fine wine needs to breathe in air, but a good whiskey can breathe underwater!!"

Heya, I am late to this post but @Krymoor and I have been tasting new bourbon on our podcast Dads Hiding Out, if you wanna hear our choice selections.  My new fav is "Makers Mark Private Select"

I have been tasting A LOT of Bourbon, Scotch and general Whiskey for the past 8 months. So if you have any questions feel free.  Below is a picture of my ultimate favorite! I drank this to toast Anthony Bourdain after he passed as this was his favorite.

37296720_2247876608575713_5661823221859614720_o.jpg

My go-to's:

Woodford Reserve - Bourbon

Bulleit - Rye

Whistle Pig - Rye (a little pricey tho)

Jameson Black Barrel - Irish

Knappogue - Irish

I don't really drink Scotch... 

Reviving a slightly old thread

Blanton's - my current favorite

Angel's Envy - very good, aged in port wine barrels so it has a hint of port wine in the flavor

Willett

Woodford - not bad at all

I looked into Pappy's awhile back and getting your hands on a bottle at non-insane prices is almost impossible

Forgot to report back from the bourbon tasting I went to.

Jefferson's Ocean, neat story behind the making of it.  Yummy and expensive!  Bought a bottle.

Woodford Reserve

Longbranch

Angel's envy.

Enjoyed them all, no real complaints!

All good ones mentioned so far.  I'll add James E Pepper 1776 Rye (makes a great Manhattan) and Basil Haydens as great introductory Boudrbon as its on the lighter and sweeter side.

Trying to think of all the bourbon I have bought/had over the last few years.

Hudson Rye, Dad's Hat, Tin Cup, Bulliet (Reg and Rye), Eagle Rare, Jefferson, Makers 46, Redemption Rye, Old Forrester, Knob Creek Rye. All are among my rotation when I Do by whiskey. I try not to very often because it never last long..

Side note: I was surprised to learn a few years back that a lot of the popular Spirits are made through these giant contracting Distilleries who just make the base spirit, then its trucked to the company for gaining. IIRC Bulliet

On 5/6/2019 at 8:18 AM, Nismo2016 said:

Side note: I was surprised to learn a few years back that a lot of the popular Spirits are made through these giant contracting Distilleries who just make the base spirit, then its trucked to the company for gaining. IIRC Bulliet

Trying to sort out who actually does what and who owns what is almost as confusing for distilleries and breweries as it is for tool companies!