Sign in to follow this  
New Dad Gaming

Whiskey Recommendations

Hey dads,

I've recently gotten into whiskey (in large thanks to a great YouTube channel called Whiskey Vault), and am looking to pick up 2-4 bottles to get my collection started.

I had thought about getting a Highland Park, Jameson , and Monkey Shoulder.

Any Whiskey guru's here that could recommend a good drink?

While i am more a Whiskey and Bourbon guy than a scotch or Irish Whisky.  I/m more a bourbon guy myself.  I can never keep things on hand as i drink them up.. but a few Bourbon and America Whiskey I enjoy are:

Basil Hayden (on the lighter side).

James Peter 1776 - makes a great Manhattan. 

Knob Creek Rye

Wild Turkey 101

Makers 46 (a bit peppery)

as far as Scotch or Irish:

Laphourg (spellcheck me) Peaty and smokey

JW black

Been meaning to try the Monkey Shoulder as well as Jameson Caskmates Stout. 

A friend of mine was in Scotland recently and took this photo at a place called The Scotch Whisky Experience... might be worth a try.

k5vAftB.jpg

They had a few to choose from...

UegXcu6.jpg

Great photo... as a Scotch drinker myself, I appreciate seeing my favorite brand....the Glenfiddich Classic and the 26 Year shown there.  Ahh to be independently wealthy!!

21 hours ago, Airbornebob said:

Great photo... as a Scotch drinker myself, I appreciate seeing my favorite brand....the Glenfiddich Classic and the 26 Year shown there.  Ahh to be independently wealthy!!

But what about that 50 y.o bottle?!? LOL!

I've always found it funny that the Glenfiddich brand is so much more popular than the Grant's brand as the Grant's brand carries the distillery name. They are all made by the same distillery, William Grant & Sons. Well, Glenfiddich is certainly more popular around here anyways... One thing I just learned is that The Balvanie Brand is also owned by William Grant & Sons.

Someday I'd like to go to Scotland. See the Grant distilleries and Castle Grant. It's where my great, great grandfather came from.

On 6/13/2018 at 7:53 PM, Nismo2016 said:

While i am more a Whiskey and Bourbon guy than a scotch or Irish Whisky.  I/m more a bourbon guy myself.  I can never keep things on hand as i drink them up.. but a few Bourbon and America Whiskey I enjoy are:

Basil Hayden (on the lighter side).

James Peter 1776 - makes a great Manhattan. 

Knob Creek Rye

Wild Turkey 101

Makers 46 (a bit peppery)

as far as Scotch or Irish:

Laphourg (spellcheck me) Peaty and smokey

JW black

Been meaning to try the Monkey Shoulder as well as Jameson Caskmates Stout. 

I have tried Laphroaig on occasion and occasionally more than the recommended daily dose. It is good stuff.

I'm considering Maker's Mark as my next purchase. I get 3-5 bottles of liquor/year.

I like to drink in basically shot glasses, maybe a little larger, with one ice cube and some liquor poured over top.

@Bygcountry - never too late here at DHO!  lol

My go to is Bulleit : https://www.bulleit.com/

The regular bourbon and the rye are both really good.  I prefer the rye for its smoothness and it's clean taste.  

My second choice is Johnny Walker Black.

Wifey got me a whiskey tasting for my birthday in a few weeks.  I'll report back with the results!

My current favs are Forty Creek Copper Barrell, Bulleit and Maker's Mark 46.