Sign in to follow this  
Granitebeard

Hop Yard

Depends on type of hop, and if the hop is proprietary. Also pellets vs whole cone. Bittering hops sell for $1-8 whole cone, $3-14 for pellets, and most duel purpose and aroma hops are $8-12 whole cone and $13-16 for pellets. Some of the proprietary varieties go for $30+. This is all on what is call a Contract to Spot Market sales system, which is what makes growing large scale hard for hops. Basically 60-75% of a variety is sold before the bines are even up. So if the year is rough, contracts don't get filled and small breweries that have to wait for the left overs get no options. A hop that sold for $18/lb last year, might go for $9 this year if the area was dry and the oils are low.

Step in small scale (0.5-25 acres) farms. Set a constant price, and tell local breweries what you have when you have it, and most jump at the chance to "be more local." I have breweries telling me they would go to $15 a pound for whole cones, if I stay fairly consistent. While looking at 1000-1200 plants with max out put of one plant being around 1.5 pounds dry, it might just be a nice side business or something to move towards. 

Well you've certainly done your research. Did it cost much to get yourself up and running? Providing the up-keep isn't to expensive, you might have yourself a nice little holiday spending money each year doing this.

Including the shed I just got for dry, I am about $8.5k into this... That being said, if everything lives, and I can expand up to about 1000 plants, it will work out to be a nice chunk of side change.