Sign in to follow this  
ThatRandomJanitor

Water Hardness

I've noticed a lot of the older copper is giving out. I replaced an elbow on hot water size that has literally gave in at the joint. It was covered in buildup on the outside with that was maybe a pen hole leak. Needless to say this is a grave concern for a young homeowner w/o a lot of money. Although I do plan on converting rest of house over to PEX over the next few years I want to treat the actual problem as the buildup can cause premature failure at the fittings. Any suggestions on where to start with this? Not even sure on how to size or what best equipment is. I'm located in SE Iowa running city water.

On 5/20/2018 at 11:33 AM, ThatRandomJanitor said:

Lots of options on the market. Seeing products for under the sink go for around $100 then jump up to $600-$1000+ for whole home systems. Any suggestions?

If your goal is to keep the pipe, fittings, and fixtures from suffering the results of hardness of your water, you'll want a whole-home softener. Also, if you have external hose hookups (for watering lawn, washing car, etc) give some thought to if you want those fixtures hooked up to the softened water or not (softened water isn't necessarily good for lawns, etc., but can keep a car washed with it from spotting up as badly) before it gets installed.

Things got a little interesting with this. Ran TWO test strips that both showed on the high side of softness. Maybe this build up is from the pipes being old? Literally some of the valves are gate valves and not modern ball valves.

On 5/26/2018 at 8:23 PM, ThatRandomJanitor said:

Things got a little interesting with this. Ran TWO test strips that both showed on the high side of softness. Maybe this build up is from the pipes being old? Literally some of the valves are gate valves and not modern ball valves.

Have you had your water tested by a couple local professionals? When we built our house I had two local companies come out and test our well water, they both did it for free (since they were vying for the water softener install business). They can tell you exactly what's in your water supply.

There are zero water softener companies asides out of town guys that are about 30-45 min away. Called the local water plant guy pretty well confirmed what tests showed. Local plumbers do not sell the softener units but will install them.

2 hours ago, ThatRandomJanitor said:

There are zero water softener companies asides out of town guys that are about 30-45 min away. Called the local water plant guy pretty well confirmed what tests showed. Local plumbers do not sell the softener units but will install them.

Ah, my bad. I missed that you are on city water. Yeah, then that call to the municipal water treatment facility will get you on the right track with respect to what's probably in your water (since the softener companies are so far away).

Is it a possibility to remove one of the pipes early on in the system and check for degradation inside the pipe? (taking shots in the dark here) Maybe that's contributing to what you're seeing at the faucet, etc?

I've always had water softeners in the house, even when I was on city water (I have a well now). They aren't the cheapest thing in the world, but worth it in my opinion.