Sign in to follow this  
Granitebeard

Battletech anyone

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/battletech/BTBT01GSK-MASTER.html?utm_source=search-precis&utm_medium=search&utm_content=textad&utm_term=acq&utm_campaign=batt_bt_us_2018424_nt_pla_rel&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2pXXBRD5ARIsAIYoEbdgob5cUOXe0SZGPFZt3TQzIfdR3hyg1TI-tK5IEhUXQUvmN4RH6_0aAuavEALw_wcB

I picked this up last week. Anyone else grab it?

So far the learning curve is a little wishy-washy, basics are super easy but some of the smaller mechanics are a little harder to pick up on. So far some pros IMHO, Feels more like the table top mashed with Mechwarrior mashed with Mechcommand. So you get the move one guy and do his actions at a set initiative, then the others go, mix with some over the should/ mechlab mechanics from the later Mechwarriors, with the over map view of mechcommander. A couple cons, the "turn rotation" cinematic all the time gets old, the hud is a little clunky, seems to stress my system on mostly medium graphics, and you can't skip the intro tutorial (yes I played it too much like mechwarrior/commander and had a very bad first outing after the tutorial....).

But I am hooked. Yes, Battletech and Mechwarrior were my first table top and "not little kid" computer games back in the 90s, so this is something I flock to with nostalgic memories. But so far there are plenty of "yeah this is going good" and "man.... got sit out for a bit, but need an easy job so I don't go broke" moments each. Honestly it feels like Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, just RTS instead of FPS. If you are at all a fan of the Battletech universe, I highly recommend trying this out.

It's a fantastic game.  I've already logged like 30 hours and I keep getting hooked on the 'One more mission' that lasts another hour.  Definitely has the same feel as mechcommander which I played when I was a kid so no idea how much extra love I'm giving it due to nostalgia.  But the game itself is pretty smooth and the few problems it has are manageable.  There are a few known bugs like reinforcements on missions appearing magically on the first or second turn right on top of your lance but considering how long it was in development I'm amazed how good its running.

There are a lot of options you will want to turn off to speed up the game.  Those 'over the shoulder' repetitive views can be turned off.  Also turning on the UI when attacking is helpful because you can see what you're hitting as rounds hit.  There is a lot of information in game that isn't clear via the tutorial or anything else for that matter.  But it's kinda fun to learn by failing.  I lost a pilot the first or second mission because I was an idiot.  But I have not been saving/restoring just because I fail and that's made it really challenging.  Managing the economics, the ship resources, etc. and making decisions on whether or not it's worth not having a mech for a few days just so you refit it with better weapons makes every mission a little different.  I find that I'm often using lance configurations that I wouldn't consider effective but have to in order to pay the bills.  

I have been reading some information on mech configs that tend to break the game a little bit so I'm trying not to use those.  I think it'll get a bit less fun if you use some of the more broken mechanics (aka. LRM salvos that knock down any mech)  

I haven't gotten any assault mechs yet and only got my third heavy.  I still keep going back to some of my tried and true mediums.  I only use lights now with pilots I don't care that much about... 

I'm at 30 hours too.

No heavies yet for me... I don't 100% push the limits on missions though...

I personally love that there is so much more thinking involved then most other games, I have honestly learned that ejecting is a good thing at times. In the same mind, yes the expendable new recruit gets the trashiest mech.

I intend to not read guides or OP builds for this game as much as possible. I want it to feel as "honest" as possible, or as innocent if you would, while I play through. I do buy a lot of the + weapons I see and i get the knockdown thing you are saying, without actually knowing what the build is. I plan to build my lances to do well, but hopefully my "tradition" mind set keeps me from going crazy with some of the mechs.

I paid for this game over a year ago. Downloaded it the day it came out. Steam says I have about 40 minutes in the game so far... unfortunately, all 40 of those minutes have been spent unsuccessfully trying to get the game to run :-\

On 5/1/2018 at 9:36 AM, SlyGambit said:

I have been reading some information on mech configs that tend to break the game a little bit so I'm trying not to use those.  I think it'll get a bit less fun if you use some of the more broken mechanics (aka. LRM salvos that knock down any mech) 

But LRM bowling is the best part of the game!  😆

A bit late to the forum party, but I've been leaning heavily on stability damage weaponry. Every time you knock over a mech the pilot takes damage. Damage the pilot enough and you won't need to destroy big chunks of the mech, leaving more to salvage. Gotta collect them all!

I guess I am dicking around too much or not doing hard enough missions. I don't see many assaults, I have two, but trying to raise the B team and a couple spares has lead me to 2-3.5 skull missions only. Otherwise I don't mess with many loads outs. Maybe it is just be but most work without much tweaking. 

Moving back to the story line mission when I get my next free moment.

Story missions will advance the overall timeline which leads to larger tonnage opponents (including Assaults).  IIRC you aren't going to see assault mechs in side-missions until you see one in a story mission.  

Also just as a friendly reminder make sure during story missions you save frequently.  There is a later story mission that is a 'multipart' mission where you do a battle, return to a ship, do another battle.  However if your game crashes while on the ship your last autosave will be at the very beginning of the story mission - not on the ship.  

FYI - F10 is the quicksave button.

Yeah I guess I just need to play harder missions.

Unless there are more like it, I have done the mission you are talking about. Was doing good in it until I hit the last lance at the LZ... This is the mission that I got one Assault.

In theory you can get assault mechs before you get them in the plot missions, but you'll have to pay your own way to those planets and you'll likely have to pay $$$ to buy them from the store, if/when they spawn in the stores. That's a c-bill costly route and you're not guaranteed a shop spawn.

I played around with planet stores a bit this morning. The items available for sale don't appear to reset:

• by doing missions on the planet
  • by reloading a save on the planet
  • by reloading a save in the middle of a travel to the planet if you are already in the system

However, entering the system does reset the store and mission contracts. So if you load a save before entering the system, the store will be randomized when you enter. Not that I'm recommending anyone abuse that, of course. 😆

Right now I think I have 3 missions left in the main plot. I have two assault mechs and several 70-75 ton mechs. I seem to have better luck with larger tonnage spawns with the random "old mechs" missions where you have to defeat some crazy old coots and their poorly maintained mechs. The last one I did gave me 2/3 Awesome and 2/3 King Crab. I also have 2/3 Zeus and 2/3 Battlemaster, so I'm just doing random missions till I can complete at least one of these sets.