Sign in to follow this  
ThatRandomJanitor

Chainsaws

What is  good decent gas chainsaw that would be good for a young homeowner? Was tempted to go for a Stihl but cant find any used...new I'd be looking at more than I'd like to spend just for the fact it won't be used a lot.

Hi, I believe It kinda depends on what your doing with.  Something around 50cc with a 20" bar is going to be a good general home purpose saw.  The Husqvarna Rancher series or the Stihl Farm Boss are good home owner saws.  If your cutting a lot of firewood you may wanna get into the 60cc saws, anything larger is going to be good for felling trees.  If your doing mostly brush work smaller than 50cc is going to be fine.

Its hard to find used stihl cause its such a good saw.  I have a Husqy 454 personally, which i use to cut a 2-3 chords of wood a year and for brushing silver leaf oak which grows rapid on my property. It's a little slow cutting fire wood but it gets the job done.

When I worked wildland fire the saw of choice was an 044 Stihl.  Light enough to hump around all day brushing and limbing fire line, yet enough power to fell and buck 20 to 28" dia. trees.

Echo is a good brand as well although I have no experience with it.  It's by far more expensive than the other two, and is the professional landscapers tool of choice in most cases.

I realize this is kinda an old post, but thats my two cents.

Thanks for the input.

I ended up getting a cheap DeWalt 18v kit that included a sawzall and did a shocking amount of work with it for the limbs that where in the back yard, including a 8 round stump. Only thing she'll be needed for now is when I have a larger (much much larger) tree taken down on its side. Because I am cheap I am just having the professionals lay it on its side and I'll deal with the rest of it.