Sign in to follow this  
SGrant7

Ready Player One

The movie looks fantastic. My only issue is that it obviously deviates from the book HEAVILY. So I don't know that I'll really be able to enjoy it.

I have not read the book yet... So maybe watching the movie first might be better for me as I may enjoy the movie on its own and then get more from the book later.

I'm already seeing things in the latest trailer that I know will annoy me, so I'm on the fence. For example, why do they need to run in the real world to run in the virtual world? And with headsets strapped, wouldn't they just trip and fall over stuff? Specifically, at this timestamp: https://youtu.be/D_eZxSYRhco?t=96

Yeah, I know, nitpicking, but that and other nitpicks will just add up to my not enjoying the experience, I fear.

2 hours ago, happyfunball said:

I'm already seeing things in the latest trailer that I know will annoy me, so I'm on the fence. For example, why do they need to run in the real world to run in the virtual world? And with headsets strapped, wouldn't they just trip and fall over stuff? Specifically, at this timestamp: https://youtu.be/D_eZxSYRhco?t=96

Yeah, I know, nitpicking, but that and other nitpicks will just add up to my not enjoying the experience, I fear.

Saw the same thing, but I was thinking perhaps it's due to the sequencing of the trailer versus how it really happens in the movie. Say the sequence with all of the digital people jumping in their cars and the real life people hooking up into those stands. I would have to assume they need to hookup before they can do anything in the virtual world. I'm guessing it's just sequencing now to make the scene seem more amazing than it is.

Then another question comes to mind, is everything controlled with thoughts or physical actions. Has to be thoughts or as you noted, they just fall all over themselves.

Seems entertaining though so will see.

I saw it over the weekend with my son.  It was a good movie.  As always there were some major differences from the book, but the story still works out.  I enjoyed the book more and was glad I read it first, but I still enjoyed the movie.

29 minutes ago, Roguewar_ said:

I enjoyed the book more and was glad I read it first

Interesting... I was actually thinking that I should watch the movie first to enjoy at it's own level and then read the book after to get even more out of it. I thought that I may be disappointed in the movie if I read the book first.

1 hour ago, SGrant7 said:

Interesting... I was actually thinking that I should watch the movie first to enjoy at it's own level and then read the book after to get even more out of it. I thought that I may be disappointed in the movie if I read the book first.

I guess I could see it both ways.  I just thought that having already known all of the background story made it easier to follow along in the movie since they have to remove a lot of the minor details to keep it 2 hrs.  I guess I'd have to hear from someone that had not read the book first to see whether they found any of the story progression confusing.