ThatRandomJanitor

Trim Painting

Wanting to repaint some of the trim on the new house. Most of the paint is starting to chip and well that just looks bad. Do I need to remove and sand it all or just remove the loose paint, prim, then paint? I've seen several suggestions online and am not sure what to do by.

I would sand down where the paint has chipped away so the new coat goes on smooth. I would also lightly sand over all the rest to help the new paint adhere to the old. If you don't you will see the spots when you use new paint. Primer may be necessary if the wood is bare to help the paint adhere.

If you have really bad holes, or dink that you want to fix you can use caulk or even spackle then sand smooth before painting to hid defects. But this is only if you OCD kicks in.

I'm gearing up to do the same as we are prepping the house for sale in the next year and my baseboards need some love.

I also highly recommend a nice bright white semi gloss trim paint. It wil "pop" and look clean. 

On the off chance that you find the new paint doesn't stick or even worse develops 'fish-eyes' you can use a thin coat of shellac, hardware store brand is fine, and then top coat of choice. Shellac sticks to all types of finishes, and all finishes stick to shellac. That's what the base of the water spot cover-ups are.

R